Tuesday, March 31, 2020

March... Madness?


March – Third Month of the Year

Wow. I never anticipated that when I titled this post "March Madness" that the month of March would actually be quite so crazy! And ironically - there was no March Madness this year since the world is in the clutches of the Coronavirus pandemic. There is a bit of madness; I suppose, but no sports to speak of at all! I know people joked about January lasting forever - but it really does feel like March was extra long! 

Anticipations 

Opening Day - I am still looking forward to Opening Day but I'm not sure when that will be or if I'll still have tickets for that game. *sigh* As of Thursday, March 12th the MLB suspended Spring Training and postponed the Opening Day of baseball by two weeks and as of the week of March 16th, the start of the season had been pushed back... so who knows if the tickets that we have for the Opening Day at Nationals Park will be honored or not?

Image result for mlb opening day 2020

Adult Easter Egg Hunt - Weirdly enough, I haven't seen anything about this being cancelled yet but I feel like surely we won't be gathering in groups of way more than 10 people (100+) to drink wine and search for eggs. I guess we shall see... although since as this month ends, the state of Virginia is under a "stay at home" order through June 10th - I think they'll have to cancel. Right?


Image result for adult only easter egg hunt

Books I Read

On the Bright Side by Melanie Shankle - This book was a light and entertaining read and offered uplifting words alongside spiritual wisdom, all with plenty of humor sprinkled in! I have read all of Melanie's books and every single one is a delight! This one came along at an especially good time since I think we all need to be reminded to look for the bright side in our present situation.

The Dutch House by Ann Patchett - This was a book I listened to on Audible (it's read by Tom Hanks) and I'm not sure that I really loved it. It wasn't bad by any means but it just didn't seem to have much of a plot beyond following two siblings lives from early childhood through late adulthood. It was fine and it was fine to listen to while I was working, but I don't know that I'd recommend it.

The Light We Lost by Jill Santopolo - I listened to this one on Audible in less than 24 hours; it chronicles the path of a relationship between two people who meet on September 11th and how their lives flow for the next 10 years. I have to say... I didn't love this book so much. It mostly made me feel a bit sad... *sigh*

Books on the Shelf

I have something like...10-12 books that I have on the shelf to read between now and whenever I finish them all, ha-ha! I bought a few of them a while back and six additional books (yikes!) the second to last week of March when I saw the quarantine situation was about to get real!

I'm also halfway through The Wondering Years by Knox McCoy... so I'll update that one once I've finished it! 

Movies of the Month

Emma - Oh my goodness, this movie was such a delightful surprise! I didn't expect to laugh quite so much as I did while I was watching this and the touching moments were just as wonderful as the amusing moments. I think this adaption of Emma might have pushed this Jane Austen story to the top of the list for me... as far as Jane Austen's books are concerned. Definitely go see this - it's excellent!


Image result for Emma movie

Onward - This was the last movie I saw in the theaters before COVID-19 and it's effects starting shutting the world down in earnest. As much of a Disney nerd as I am, it seems fitting that the last movie I'd see in theaters for a while would be courtesy of Disney... This movie was humorous and touching and had that Disney magic that we've all come to expect from a Disney film! It wouldn't go down as one of my favorite Disney/Pixar offerings but I absolutely enjoyed it and will definitely add it to my home collection!


Image result for Onward

*Emma is now available to rent online (has been available since March 20th) and Onward will be available via Disney+ on April 3rd!

Must See TV

The Stranger - This was honestly just something I stumbled on while perusing Netflix but it was SO good! It's suspenseful and thrilling and with only eight episodes, it's also a really quick watch! If you like crime dramas, suspense and the twists and turns that can come with a mystery - I'd definitely check this one out! It's excellent!

Image result for the stranger netflix

I'm still watching the fifth season of Outlander (of course) and the most important thing about season five so far (to me) is the addition of Adso the Cat... but since I touched on that show last month, I'll share about something a little different this month!

Westworld - The third season of Westworld started earlier this month and has felt like a completely different show... and I can't decide if I like that or don't... It's still so intriguing and just draws me in. I've seen where this might be the final season, so if that's the case, I'm hoping they will wrap everything up in a satisfying way. The show is still so well written, acted and the twists and turns are always fabulous! 

Image result for westworld season 3

I'm also still watching Home Town and that show just tickles me to no end - mostly because so many of the people on the show remind me of people I grew up with!

Schitt's Creek - The final season of this delightful little show has been...hit or miss for me. Most of the episodes have been a hit, just because I love the characters on this show but a couple of the episodes haven't quite been my favorites. Besides that, I will always love this show and I can't wait to see how the two part finale wraps up the Rose family and their story! 

Image result for schitts creek season 6

The two part finale begins tonight - and then it will just be Schitt's Creek reruns for the rest of eternity. *sigh* It's been fun! 

Tasty Treats

Well - quarantine and all, there was still some really delicious food this month! The start of the month brought a delicious chicken dish at a local Mexican spot that had queso and mango salsa on grilled chicken breasts and it was so extremely tasty! My Mom also whipped up some Key Lime Pie cups that were Weight Watchers friendly... and also tasted divine!



We did take out from Nana's Irish Pub and I had their delicious chicken pot pie... and we also had a tasty chicken pot pie from Costco, since we have to try out new things! We did take out from Regions 117 and I had the Burger of the Week, which was a Wagyu beef burger with Pancetta, Cheddar Cheese and BBQ sauce - it was SO GOOD. Last but definitely not least - I picked up some Palmetto Cheese Pimento & Cheese and I've been having some really lovely grilled cheeses! 

Tunes & Talks 

Culpable - Y'all, this podcast just sort of took over everything I was listening to at the beginning of March because... it is about a murder that was covered up as a suicide in the town I grew up in! It's wild to listen to a podcast and know the people and places that they are discussing... just wild! And it also proves what I've been thinking for a while now - Meridian is rotten to the core.

I've also been plowing through episodes of The Big Boo Cast, The Popcast with Knox & Jamie, Lore and Nationals Talk. I've been listening to some soundscapes courtesy of the Atmosphere app and of course, my favorite soundtracks are always on rotation and include Game of Thrones, Westworld and anything from Disney.

No comments:

Post a Comment