Thursday, August 1, 2019

July Things

Image result for July

Anticipations

Where July was filled with things to do - August is another open book in so far as things are planned. I'll be going to a Nationals game mid-month but otherwise I have a wide open calendar and plenty of opportunities for all sorts of things. Who knows what I might get into?

Books I Read

Confession... I have fallen into a deep hole that is fan fiction and I have not yet dug myself out of that hole. *sigh* I have plenty of books to read and intentions to read them but I get sidetracked by some really good fan fiction and read that. Oh well! *shrug*

I have actually also been reading the A Song of Ice & Fire series in bits and pieces from time to time but that's not anything new. So....

Books on the Shelf

All the books that have been on the shelf that have fallen by the wayside while I've been distracted with fan fiction. Sad but true.

Can't Be Missed Movies

Spider-Man Far From Home - I absolutely loved this movie; it was so good! I wasn't able to see it on opening weekend but I made my way to the theater the second week it was out and enjoyed all two hours of it. Tom Holland is just so perfect as Peter Parker and this movie just added to the Marvel universe perfectly - plenty of laughs, action and some heartfelt moments too. Such an excellent movie!


Image result for spider man far from home

The Lion King - Well...after much fanfare and hoopla around it's release - the Lion King finally came out and well. It was fine. I just don't know that anything can ever come close to animated classic but this movie had it's moments. The film is almost a clip for clip remake with a few little things thrown in here and there that change things up ever so slightly - but hands down the best part was Billy Eichner as Timon and Seth Rogan as Pumbaa - they completely stole the show. I mean - go see it - but don't expect it to have the magic of the original. 

Image result for the lion king

Must See TV

Stranger Things - The third season of Stranger Things was hands down the best season yet; it was just fantastic and I absolutely loved every episode. The story lines were rich and hilarious with twists, turns and laughter plenty. I've enjoyed Stranger Things from the start but the third season was truly the best so far.


Related image

Good Omens - What happens when an angel and a demon team up to attempt to thwart the end of the world? That's the premise of Good Omens; a 6 episode limited series on Amazon that follows angel Aziraphale and demon Crowley from the beginning of creation up to present day as they attempt to track down the Antichrist, ensnare the Four Horsemen and stop the end of the world - all while keeping Heaven and Hell in the dark about their plans.


Related image


Big Little Lies - The first season of BLL was so fantastic and followed the book fairly closely with sharp writing, well-written characters and an excellent story to tell. I'm not sure the second season fully lived up to that because while the characters were all still fantastic - it just didn't have the same twists and turns of the first season... and the finale just left me wanting more. Even the addition of Meryl Streep as Nicole Kidman's MIL just couldn't save this season (for me at least). 

Image result for big little lies season 2

Tasty Treats

Oh my goodness... so much deliciousness this month! We started the month trying a new restaurant called Roots 657 - I had simply divine tomato soup and macaroni and cheese and they were both to die for *sigh*. The Creme Brulee French Toast I had for breakfast in DC was so perfectly tasty! We did a wine tasting at a friend's house and it was divine but unfortunately I ended up getting a stomach virus shortly after and so that mitigated the earlier enjoyment just a bit...


The end of the month was filled with goodness again: I created a delicious treat with a banana stuffed with peanut butter and chocolate chips, a Pinterest win if ever there was one. I also made Cashew Sheet Pan Chicken and partook of a Boxty Waffle at a nearby Irish pub that was fairly tasty... My sister visited for the last week of the month and there were kabobs on the grill, Brunch at Regions that included fresh fruit, a mouth-watering ham and bean soup and Cream Cheese French Toast. The last days of July were spent in DC where we popped into Ice Cream Jubilee and I ended the month with an absolute calorie bomb: tater tots topped with pulled pork and macaroni and cheese... whoosh! So good though!

Tunes & Talks 

Not much changed this month of the music front - I spent most of my time listening to the Game of Thrones soundtracks and cycled through several of my favorite podcasts: The Popcast with Knox & Jamie, Invisibilia and Lore... among a few other random listens here and there. I also discovered ambient music mixes on YouTube and have listened to all variations of soundtrack classics mixed with wind and rain and birds chirping and waterfalls.. you get the idea.

**************************************

Just like that - there are only five months left in this year. What in the world is that about? 

No comments:

Post a Comment