Friday, August 2, 2019

Five on Friday

It's the first weekend in August - I thought I'd recap some of the other things that I've been doing on my "staycation" this week... and then get down to the business of enjoying the first weekend of August!

Image result for Five on Friday

One. The Spy Museum - Tuesday afternoon found myself, my younger sister and my Mom in downtown DC with some time to kill before we checked into our hotel and so we decided to take in the International Spy Museum, which was really cool! I will preface this by saying that the parking garage is kind of crazy and it advises you'll need 1.5-2 hours - I think you definitely need more time than that - especially if the museum is busy! 

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, Ladybird Scott and Ginger Watson Summerlin, people smiling
Getting our spy identities....
No photo description available.
The Enigma Machine!
Image may contain: text
A fictional double agent!
Image may contain: car
Bond. James Bond. Of course they have an Aston Martin on display!
No photo description available.
I spy....
The Museum is filled with so much fascinating information and when you begin your journey, you're assigned a secret identity that allows you to take part in a mission as you move through the museum. The only problem here? There are very few kiosks for doing each step of the mission and if you're pressed for time at all (we were) - you really cannot do this portion. Oh well! My favorite thing was definitely seeing an Enigma machine from WWII and reading all about Bletchley Park. I'd love to go back and have more time to really take everything in...

Two. Week Snaps - We stayed in DC on Tuesday night and stayed at one of our favorite spots in DC: the Hampton Inn located right across the street from Nationals Park. The hotel has a great rooftop bar that is called Top of the Yard that is a great spot to watch the game - if you aren't inside the park! We love going up to snap pictures! 

Image may contain: stadium, sky and outdoor
Nationals Park!
Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, stadium and sunglasses
Nat and Nationals Park!
Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Ladybird Scott, people smiling, people standing, ocean, sky, outdoor and water
Cheesing on the Anacostia River on Tuesday night!
After we'd perused the rooftop bar, we grabbed dinner at Shake Shack and had dessert from Ice Cream Jubilee; I love me some Whiskey Toasted Marshmallow and I tried Blackberry Chamomile Cheesecake...also divine! We walked along the river walk for just a bit before heading back to the hotel to drop my Mom off and then we made our way to Capitol One Arena for the Queen concert!

Three. Nationals Baseball - Wednesday was a rare 12:05 game at Nationals Park and since that so perfectly coincided with our plans to be in DC for the Queen concert the night prior, we grabbed tickets and decided to take in the game. It's the only time this year my younger sister will be able to see the Nationals play with her busy schedule - so she was 100% down to take in a game - and you know I'd never say no to a Nationals game!

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, sitting
12:05 game = less crowded. We got to sit in the Coke chair!
Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor
Cheesing with the mural!
Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, sitting
Living the club level life....
Image may contain: stadium, crowd, baseball and outdoor
Juan Soto home run!
Image may contain: stadium, outdoor and food
Tater Tots & Baseball - what a combo!
Image may contain: 11 people, including Ginger Watson Summerlin and Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, sunglasses and outdoor
Cheese!
My Mom is the master of finding excellent seats and she found three seats for sale on the club level for well below the usual price - so she snapped them up! We had access to the indoor club level with indoor bathrooms, multiple food options, couches and big screen TV's, cushioned seats in the stadium and most importantly (to my Mom) - air conditioning! I may be ruined from here on out, ha-ha! 

Four. Hiking & Such - This morning after a quick breakfast, we all hopped in the car and headed over to the Storybook Trail in nearby Luray. My Dad and I have checked this spot out before and thought it would be perfect to do again with my Mom and younger sister - plus this time I was able to bring along my pup! It's a paved walkway with stunning views at the end - it's also shaded, which is nice in the crazy August heat!

Image may contain: mountain, sky, cloud, outdoor and nature
Views from on high.
Image may contain: outdoor and nature
Adventure pup on the prowl....
Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Ladybird Scott, people smiling, mountain, sky, outdoor and nature
Sister snapshot!
Image may contain: one or more people, people standing, tree, sky, shoes, child, outdoor, nature and water
Queen(s) of the Mountain!
Image may contain: Ginger Watson Summerlin, Natalie Summerlin and Jeffrey G. Summerlin, people smiling, people standing, sky, outdoor and nature
Family photo!
We returned back into the little town of Luray to have a picnic lunch at the Carillon Park - there is a tower with carillon bells that do concerts throughout the year. Sadly, we didn't get to witness any concerts but we did have really lovely sandwiches and my pup thoroughly enjoyed his bites of turkey and cheese!

Five. Top Golf - The final event for Friday evening was playing Top Golf; something my sister has done more than once, but the rest of us have never experienced. I have to say - I was a fan! There is something really nice about just murdering golf balls and scoring points - I could definitely see this being a great stress reliever! 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor
Aim for the hoops...
Image may contain: 1 person, standing and outdoor
My form is not... the best...
Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Ladybird Scott, people smiling, closeup
Sibling selfie!
Image may contain: screen and phone
Somehow I came in second both rounds!
Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, Jeffrey G. Summerlin, Ginger Watson Summerlin and Ladybird Scott, people smiling, people standing, cloud, sky and outdoor
Another family snap!
No one was going to beat my Dad - he was absolutely the best - but I was shocked that I managed to pick it up pretty quickly and ended up getting the second highest score on both rounds! I think we all agreed that there were several shots we each made that didn't get the points they should have been awarded - but what are you going to do? Either way - I'd love to go back - and not just to try the nachos!

******************************************

Can y'all believe the first weekend of August is upon us? I know I can't! Whoosh - time flies!

No comments:

Post a Comment