Monday, August 5, 2019

August Weekend - Take One

The first weekend of August has come and gone - holy cow - how is time moving so fast? I recently saw a meme that said something along the lines of "January and February lasted six months and the next five months lasted five minutes..." and that feels especially right. 

We started the weekend off with a delicious dinner at Magnolia's at the Mill in Purcellville - a restaurant inside on old mill (hence the name, duh). The food was good and I had a particularly delicious cocktail called Mocking Bird - so yummy! After our meal, we stopped by Bluemont Vineyards on the way home solely to check out the view... I will definitely be making a stop back by to check out the wine! 

Image may contain: sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Ladybird Scott, people smiling, sky, tree, outdoor, nature and closeup

Saturday morning was rather slow - which was nice. We had a big breakfast and my sister and I watched the second episode of Four Weddings & A Funeral on Hulu before getting ready to go the afternoon tea at the George Washington Hotel. We have long been fans of going to afternoon tea and we had a favorite spot here in our little home town but sadly, it closed late last year and we haven't been able to find a replacement... until this weekend!

No photo description available. Image may contain: coffee cup and drink

No photo description available.

We all did the Martha's Tea selection that came with two tea selections, a soup or salad and a tea tray filled with scones, clotted cream, jam, savories and pastries. It was just enough to fill me up but not overwhelm me and everything was so tasty - especially the two teas I had: Vanilla Orange Jasmine and Lavender Rose - both were fabulous! My favorite thing though; it might have been, the Kale and Lima Bean soup that started the meal - it was to die for - oh my goodness! I cannot find a copy cat recipe anywhere...

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: dessert and food Image may contain: plant, food and indoor

We snapped pictures all over the hotel lobby and grounds because that's just what we do - ha-ha! I don't get to see my little sister as much any more and so we have to get in all the picture taking that we can, while we have the chance...

Image may contain: Ladybird Scott and Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, people standing and indoor

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Ladybird Scott, people smiling, outdoor

Another thing we did - I have never darkened the door of the Handley Library, which is a gorgeous looking building from outside but I was blown away when I went in. I couldn't stop taking pictures and my sister and I went all the way up to the third level to take snapshots all over the place. 

Image may contain: indoor Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: indoor Image may contain: indoor

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling

Saturday evening was spent watching A Quiet Place (my sister had been pushing it all week) - which I thought was really good and enjoyed. My Dad grilled steaks and chicken while a storm rolled in and we had a delicious dinner around 8:15 before watching episodes of Outlander (my Dad is finally on board and is blazing through the seasons...)

Sunday morning after coffee and getting together - we headed to Reston to have brunch at Founding Farmers - which was delicious! We've long talked about eating there and we were supposed to eat there earlier in July but then I got sick and so we cancelled our reservations. I thought this spot was divine and the brunch buffet was great - I'd love to go back and try their regular menu!

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, drink

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: food

We perused World Market before dropping my sister off at the airport and then we popped into Niall's Farmers Market on the way home - they had the most gigantic tomatoes I've ever seen and three different colors of watermelon. I didn't know that there were different colors of watermelon - but now I do know! We bough a slice of yellow and made our way home. 

Image may contain: food Image may contain: food

The rest of the evening was passed with a bubble bath, watching Outlander episodes and getting ready to get back into the swing of things. I have been putting together a blog post about the Queen concert - can't wait to share that! Y'all have a good week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment