Tuesday, August 27, 2019

Full

Monday really just got away from me I suppose... I was at work and I got all these pictures posted and then went home (the long way due to road work...) and then once I'd gotten in the exercise and the supper and a shower... I just didn't want to do anything else, ha-ha! 

This past weekend was a good weekend - but I really just can't believe that the final weekend of August is coming up this weekend. I know I say it constantly but I feel it constantly - time just moves faster and faster! 

Friday evening I joined my parents for dinner at a local Italian restaurant and dinner - for the most part - was lovely. Unfortunately a group came in with several boys aged about 8-12 arrived and all the boys ended up sitting in the booth directly behind us... and for the rest of the meal I heard far too much discussion of people being "so poor" and jokes about "Uranus" for my liking. *face palm*  



Saturday morning I slept in (as usual - it's my favorite) and sipped my coffee, then joined my Mom for a little trip over to West Oaks Farm Market to pick up a couple things and peruse their vendor event. The weather this weekend was pretty close to perfect - the temperatures were in the mid-70's throughout the day and just made for spectacular weather. It has me hoping; yet again, for an early Autumn.

We had a late lunch on the deck and I passed the afternoon reading In A Dark, Dark Wood (so good) on the deck, getting in some exercise and watching the Nationals play the Cubs (and win)! We decided to order half off pizza (courtesy of a Nationals win on Friday) and head into the National Park to watch the sunset yet again. I took - tons of pictures - of course!

Image may contain: sky, cloud, grass, mountain, nature and outdoor

Image may contain: people sitting, dog, grass, outdoor and nature Image may contain: dog, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, plant, grass, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, outdoor Image may contain: 1 person, dog, sunglasses, outdoor and nature

When we went to watch the sunset two weeks ago - the sun set at 8:14 and this week the sunset was at 7:54 - a sure sign that Summer is on the way out and shorter days are coming! It was much cooler on the mountainside this time too; I wore a long sleeve cardigan and still ended up donning my coat once the sun began to sink behind the mountains. It all just makes me very excited for the upcoming season!

Image may contain: sky, cloud, ocean, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: outdoor

Image may contain: sky, twilight, cloud, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: sky, twilight, ocean, outdoor and nature

Sunday morning was a bit lazier than normal - we ended up leaving the house around 10:30 to head toward DC for the day. We went to Woodbridge first, stopping in for lunch at Chuy's (it's one of my favorites) and then perusing IKEA - I needed an additional shelf for my bobble head display and I found the perfect mini-kitchen (although I didn't get it - but it really is perfect). 

The reason for our sojourn into the city was to see the Red Arrows - the RAF's aerobatic team. They didn't do their fly by until 6:00 PM though - so we used our interim time to wander around some of the monuments. Seriously - the weather could not have been more fabulous and I think I will always love wandering the monuments and taking in the city of DC - I just love it. So - of course I took a ton of pictures. 

Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: cloud, sky, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, sky, outdoor and closeup Image may contain: one or more people, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

Once upon a time I seem to remember that you weren't supposed to sit with your feet in the fountains at the WWII Memorial but they have changed that rule. Now sitting is fine, they just ask that you don't play in the fountains - for obvious reasons. It was so nice to sit in the sunshine, feeling the breeze and letting the cool water lap over my feet... I also did my usual and snapped pictures with the columns on the Memorial for California (state I was born in)... Mississippi (state I grew up in)... and Virginia (state I currently live in). 

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, standing, tree and outdoor Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing, shoes, child and outdoor

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, standing and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, cloud and outdoor

No photo description available. Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor and water

Image may contain: one or more people, sky and outdoor No photo description available.

We meandered along the Reflecting Pool and my Mom and I were stunned to see that someone had left a Purple Heart alongside the Vietnam Wall - and I think I am more stunned that no one has stolen it yet. Maybe some things in this world are stills sacred? I don't know if there will ever come a time when I don't enjoy just being in DC - and with the perfect weather and the breeze from atop the Lincoln Memorial - I could have sat there all afternoon! 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor Image may contain: cloud, sky, tree, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: cloud, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: cloud, sky, ocean, outdoor and nature

We drove over to the Air Force Memorial around 5:00 and snagged a spot on the grass to wait for the Red Arrows to zip overhead. We thought they were coming one way and they ended up going another... and they only did one pass... and cell phone cameras can't really do them justice, but it was still cool to get to see! After that, we made our way home - stopping to grab delicious Panda Express for dinner en route to the house. 

It was a good weekend. It was a full weekend. I know this coming weekend will also be full too - but in the best way. I'll leave you with a shot of my pup, taking in the sunset on Saturday evening. May the rest of your week be good (it's already Tuesday) and your weekend be long and joyful!

No comments:

Post a Comment