Sunday, June 2, 2013

DIY at it's Finest

I don't know that spontaneous should be my middle name, but I do know that every once in a while I get the wild idea to do something and Friday was no exception. When I first moved into my house, I wanted to make my guestroom cute and colorful - which I proceeded to do by buying an all black bedspread, painting all the furniture black and throwing in lots of colorful. It was fine and good, looked pretty cute.

The one thing that wasn't cute about it was all the black. Especially the black bedspread. You see, Watson likes to think that the whole house is his to sit wherever he chooses to plop his furry tail and most of the time I'm okay with that but in the guest room his white fur just stuck to that black bedspread with a ferocity the likes of which I've never seen. It screamed to everyone who came to visit "Look - the dog has been all over this bed!!" Even when I washed it. I knew I wanted to move on from that look and on Friday I decided that I'd put the original bed linens in place - they are a little more adult looking but very pretty; it was pretty much a snap decision but by the time I'd left work on Friday, I had a weekend project in place and all I needed was some spray paint!

This started out black - but is now a lovely color called Bauhaus Gold.  It's fun, huh?
We couldn't even get started good on Saturday morning before we had to take a crazy animal break. My dog so very kindly chased my Aunt's cat into the "garage" at my house and so kindly kept her cornered until my Aunt came to pick her up/rescue her. Crazy dog - I'm pretty sure that cat wasn't out to get us...but oh well.

Having some time out until the cat could be rescued & Watson would stop being a punk.

The dresser...black to start with...

Oops - I got a little paint on my hand. It would get worse before it got better...

The drawers needed a couple good coats of Oxford Blue to cover the doodles from their previous incarnation.

Looking good...looking good.

The beginnings of some extremely blue fingers. It was all worth it in the end though.



Yes - at one point my whole left hand was blue. 
Spray paint is VERY sticky. As you can see, I learned that all too well. But I had letters that needed to be painted and that was really the only way to go - to hold them out, spray till they were coated and just know that I'd be taking a layer of skin off with the paint. It all worked out just fine and I even think I kept most of my skin!

I'm so colorful!

This used to be teal - I really love the way this looks now. So awesome!

I was initially going to just make these blue but while I was watching Contagion I started feeling crafty...

Ready to be hung over the bed!

So. Many. Ribbons. They were part of the window treatment when the room was colorful and so now I just have lots of ribbon. Haha, I'll find a project for it.
By early Saturday night, all my hard work had paid off. I sweat buckets while I was moving furniture here and there, whacked my leg with a drawer, taken two showers and almost taken off a layer of skin getting my hand back to it's normal color. I'd washed all the linens, re-positioned all the furniture, thrown around some decorative knick-knacks and everything was the way I wanted it. A project pretty well done. I love when things come together the way you want them to.

Looking into the guest room.

The left corner of the room.

The lovely bed.

Don't you want to lie down and take a nap?

New (old) window treatment.

I decided to display my travel knick-knacks here.

Absolutely love how this candelabra turned out!

The dresser and mirror combo.

Over the bed.
And hey - the blue paint is almost completely off my hand. Almost. :)

My porch also got a little bit of a makeover - haha.
















2 comments:

  1. it all looks GREAT!! you are so talented...i love love love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am impressed - and I get to stay in that room in just a few days!

    ReplyDelete