Monday, June 17, 2013

Daddio!

Well - this post is a day late but hopefully not a dollar short. I suppose I was busy actually being able to spend time with my Daddy yesterday, so I couldn't type up my blog post on an ode to Dad. So...here we go. I'm going to try to keep this one light - my Dad is what we fondly call a major weeper - I don't think he could get through my Mother's Day post, so I'll keep it conscise but nice for my Dad. Ha-ha!

My Daddy - what can I say? He's the best Dad there is and I think we bear a slight resemblance; don't you? Not only did he give me some good looks but he gave and has continued to give me love, support and guidance as I've navigated the paths of life.
I think I look just a little bit like him.

Are we sure about that mustache Dad? I don't know...my face says it all.

My Dad taught me to cheer for the best sports team - as evidence by our love of Maroon & White. He helped me figure out what was going on down on the field, what calls were being made and somehow managed to turn a kid that despises sweating into a kid that would sit in the stands in heat, rain, even snow flurries to cheer on my team - and understand what was happening! He taught me that you support your team through thick and thin; even when they have a losing season, you keep on cheering and know that things can only go up from a losing season. You find the positives in the negative and keep on truckin! Right? That lesson translates in a lot of other ways though. The most important translation of that lesson is that you don't quit. Life gets tough sometimes, you may keep having a losing "season" and life my continue to label you the underdog, but you look for the good in a bad situation and keep on moving. You ring you cowbell, announcing to the world that it can't get you down and keep on going - look for the good in the bad and you'll always manage to come out better in the end.
Football fans!
My Dad is also a spiritual leader; he has lead our family since I can remember - and I'm assuming even before then. I know that from the time I was a few weeks old, it has been understood that when the doors at the church are open, that is where we are going to be. He leads us in prayers at every meal and although he isn't showy or loud about it, his faith shows. He has a quiet, steadfast type of faith but it is the kind of faith that allows him to lead our family. I'm glad I have a Christian Daddy that taught me the importance of a heavenly Father.


Being a leader in the literal sense. Go Dad!

Another area where my Dad excels? Being an awesome husband! That may not seem like an important function for a Dad, but actually it is extremely important. He loves and respects my Momma and he also genuinely enjoys spending time with her. They have a good time together and the partnership they have spent almost 31 years working on it almost honed to perfection and I know that because my Dad (and Mom, but this post is about Dad) has put time and energy into the relationship, it is where it is today. I also mentioned he respects my Mom - which is important when you have daughters. I've told him before and I'll say it again, he is making it hard to find a husband since I'm looking for someone that will treat me as well as he has always treated my Momma.
Daddy & Daughter

Dad - every girl's first hero.

The best thing I think (personally) that my Dad has taught my sister and I is the love of travel and experiencing history. I think my Dad must have a little gypsy in him because his love of seeing the world has taken me to 32 of the 50 states and he and my Mom never sit still - they are always out to see more and more of what the world has to offer. My Dad has also taken us to more Civil War battlefields than I count and while as a teenager I moaned and moped about it, looking back now I've got to say they were all pretty cool. I'm a history nerd and I get it honest. Kind of like I got that little bit of the gypsy need to travel and see the world. Thanks Dad!
In Gettysburg - Dad is taking this picture, so he's not in it. Ha-ha! I still don't see any ghosts in this photo either. Such a letdown since this is the most haunted spot on the whole battlefield. I guess that means we need to go back, right Dad?

I can't say I remember too much about my Great-Grandpas; I actually only have a picture of one of them but I'm sure they were great because I've got such a great Dad and wonderful Grandpa.
Grandfather Williams & I...many, many moons ago.

Last, but certainly not least - the Grandpas. I got two of the best ones, I think. My Pops let me traipse around behind him in the garden, taught me to shell peas and snap beans and made sure I always cleaned my plate. Ha-ha. My Pops made me furniture, some of which I still have and will have till the day I die; a special keepsake to always have of him and the work he did with his hands. My Papaw took me fishing and helped me learn how to swing a bat and throw a ball. He was there for every ballgame, dance recital, choral concert and any other random thing that I (or my sister) decided to do. Both of my Grandpas are men of faith and their faith leaves a legacy for their children and grandchildren that is evident in our lives today. My Pops is still here, my Papaw is not. Whether present or absent this year, they've both had a profound effect on my life.
Pops & I.

My Papaw...because I couldn't find a picture of us together. :(


Oh - and one last thing. My Dad easily gets the best Dad award because well, my car looks like it is brand new and so does my house after this weekend. He's awesome I'm telling you. Awesome. So - Happy Father's Day to the best Dad there is. Love you!
Best Dad Ever - easily.

He's just awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment