Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Single Girl Suppers...Kind Of

Disclaimer - this isn't actually a supper, hence the title. I suppose if you wanted to eat banana bread for supper, that's fine. I didn't.

I am the kind of girl that loves to watch my TV shows. I'm fairly addicted to no less than 10 shows; Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Castle, Dallas, Modern Family, The Vampire Diaries, Elementary, Once Upon A Time, Game of Thrones and True Blood. Oh my Lord - that's ten. I may have a problem. Granted, they don't all come on at the same time and I DVR some of them to watch during the weekend. All of this to say that usually on a weeknight I can be found watching something but summer has arrived and that isn't the case anymore. I've only got 2 more weeks of Game of Thrones (*sob*) and then True Blood will pick up...but that airs on Sunday night so the weeknights are suddenly wide open.

Last night when I got home, after I'd walked on the treadmill (that's a love/hate relationship for sure) and then proceeded to cook supper, I came to the realization that I had no clue what I was going to do with myself. Not just last night but for all the weeknights to come. The freedom of having nothing to do is somewhat enticing but last night I was just looking for something to do - I didn't want to just sit around doing nothing. I was poking around the kitchen when I remembered my two little bananas that were really getting quite speckled and mushy and the light bulb clicked on and I was suddenly going to make banana bread!

Ingredients...got to get them all together!

Those bananas are about to be mush!

This smelled delicious at this point...so I was pretty excited.

Into the pan it goes....

The before shot...
Let me interject here and tell you that my dog - I think he can sense when I am cooking from miles away. Seriously. He was outside last night, just playing around and relaxing on the top step. I start banging around in the kitchen and suddenly he is way more interested in what's happening inside. Seriously - he was outside treeing squirrels last night, clueless to what is going on and caring less...but let me pull out a pan and suddenly he is sitting at the front door, looking in at me. When I let him in, he immediately comes to the kitchen to keep vigil until he sees that something has been pulled out of the oven. And then the begging begins. Ha-ha, he's a mess y'all.

OK - what are you cooking and how long till you give me some?

Baking in the oven...making my house smell so good!

I thought is looked pretty good for my first time making the stuff.

Yum! Yum! Yum!

If I could have captured the steam coming off of it - yep, it was looking good.

Late night snack!
Banana Bread

-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/4 tsp. salt
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/2 cup melted butter
-2 to 3 mashed bananas
-2 eggs
-1 tsp. vanilla

In a mixing bowl combine flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Add in eggs and mashed bananas, mixing well.

Fold into flour mixture and add in vanilla.

Pour batter into lightly greased loaf pan and cook at 350 for 60 minutes.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment