Thursday, May 2, 2013

Single Girl Suppers

So - if you're reading this blog, you already should know that I'm single. I'm not happily single, but as far as things go, I guess I can't complain. Along with being single, I also really like to cook. Someone in my office asked me a while back "you actually cook real food even though it's just you??" Which, really kind of blew my mind. I guess if you don't like to cook then maybe that makes sense, but I don't think just because a person is single they have to sit at home eating Stouffers for One microwave meals or turkey sandwiches. Am I right?

I love to cook though - I love finding or receiving new recipes, I love hunting the aisles of the grocery store finding ingredients, I love setting everything out on the counter and knowing that it will all come together to make something delicious. Most of the time at least; there have been a couple recipes that weren't so great.

On Monday night I made Sour Cream Chile Chicken Enchilada, which were great. I'm pretty sure I've posted the recipe on here before. Wednesday night, I didn't actually feel like cooking something that took too much time, so I started thinking about my leftovers.  I had leftover Sour Cream Chile sauce and leftover black beans but no tortillas. I remembered that I had some tortilla chips and I decided I'd just craft my own new recipe. I made myself some Sour Cream Chile Chicken and Black Bean Nachos. And they were good y'all. Real good. Recipe after pictures!

Cooking up some chicken with spices...


Cooked chicken with sour cream Chile sauce & leftover black beans added...


Load the mixture onto some delicious tortilla chips & of course, top with cheese!


If you want to let your dog be the "pre-wash" portion of the dish washing, that's fine too.


Full sink - full belly - happy girl.

Sour Cream Chile Chicken & Black Bean Nachos
-1 can white meat chicken; drained
-a pinch of black pepper
-a pinch of cumin
-leftover Sour Cream Chile sauce
-leftover black beans
-shredded Mexican cheese
-tortilla chips

-Open & drain chicken, cook in a skillet until warm, mixing in pepper & cumin
-Add in leftover Sour Cream Chile sauce & black beans, cooking it all together until hot.
-Load mixture onto tortilla chips & top with shredded cheese.
-Dig in!

And yes, I realize that maybe you don't have leftover Sour Cream Chile sauce sitting around your kitchen. So...

Sour Cream Chile Sauce
-3 tbsp. flour
-3 tbsp. butter
-2 cups chicken broth
-1 cup sour cream
-1 4 oz. can of chiles

-Mix butter & flour together for about a minute, until well incorporated.
-Add in 2 cups of chicken broth & 1 cup sour cream, mixing well. Do not boil this as you don't want your sour cream to curdle.
-Add in chiles & mix well.

This can be used over chicken enchiladas or to put with chicken and black beans for these nachos. It is also really just a delicious sauce and it freezes really well too and is good on all kinds of Mexican dishes.

So - there you go. My single girl supper for this week. I've got all kinds of other recipes to cook up, so maybe I'll start sharing some more of those. Because I'm just a firm believer that just because I'm single, it doesn't mean I can't eat well.

No comments:

Post a Comment