Sunday, May 12, 2013

A Message to my Mom

"Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her saying, Many daughters have done worth but you have surpassed them all." Proverbs 31:28-29

Happy Mother's Day to my very first best friend. You have loved me since before I was born; loved me more than I'm yet capable to know since I've yet to have my own children. You taught me the important things in life, like wrong from right, sharing with others, treating everyone with kindness and to always seek the Lord in all the things I do. You also taught me that you should never wear white after Labor Day, that some people don't have the sense God gave a billy goat and chocolate is always good for curing life's little (and sometimes big) ills.
Christmas 1984

Riding the carousel.

An early family photo.
As I grew older, you taught me that life is not always fair. When I got into a scrape, accident or just got plain sick you made sure to be there taking care of me - cleaning and bandaging bo-bos, laying a rag on my fevered brow and making sure I had some chicken soup to soothe a sore throat. When friends (or life in general) seemed fickle, you let me know that I was always loved and perfect just the way I was; of course there was nothing wrong with me, it was the other kid that was crazy. I personally have to agree with you, ha-ha.

High School Days...

18th Birthday!

Graduating from high school - starting a new chapter in life.
You (along with Daddy) have taught me the importance of finding a man of God to spend my life with. The Lord hasn't seen fit yet to bless me with that man, but I know from watching you interact with my Daddy that a man of such character is worth waiting for. You taught me to value myself, not through the world's eyes but through the eyes of Christ. You taught me (and are still teaching me, through prayer) that sometimes the best things in life are worth waiting for - even if it seems that I've been waiting forever. I am comforted in knowing that I can only be the Godly wife and mother that the Lord would have me be by waiting for the Godly man he has for me. A lesson again learned by watching you lead by example with my Daddy.

Easter Sunday

MSU Football Game!
Thank you for being the best mother I could have never asked for. The Lord knows what we want and also what we need and what he gives us will always far surpass anything we could have asked for or imagined in our own minds - you are proof of that. You are a loving, kind, compassionate and patient Mother. You have seem me through the highs and lows of the past twenty-eight years and through it all, I've always known without a doubt that I was loved. Thank you for being my Momma - If I can one day be just a fraction of the Momma to my children that you have been to me, I will consider myself successful. I love you and hope you have a wonderful Mother' Day.

And to the other Mommas in my life - the ones that aren't with me anymore, the one that is still with me although she doesn't know it and the one that lives right next door - I love you all too. Even though none of you will read this; I love you.
Grandma Summerlin & I
To the sweet memories that I have with those women - a woman who raised my Grandpa and also did a little raising of of my Daddy. A woman with a mind as sharp as a tack, even in the last few days of her life - she never forgot to tell my sister and I the story of how my Dad was always afraid of the cows that lived next door. My Grandma Summerlin was a true Proverbs 31 woman and a blessing to me for the time I had with her. She is the great-grandmother I knew best; I don't remember Grandma Williams, Grandma Watson or Grandma Rogers very well but I know they were special women because they raised special people that were influential in my life - I may not remember them but I see their influence in my life daily through the people they raised.

Mamaw & I
My Mamaw, my Daddy's Momma. I was her first grand baby and I have the fondest memories of my time spent with her. I remember the ever present bug bite stick that she used when I'd come in from following my Pops around in the garden, insuring that every bite was covered and cared for. I remember Friday night sleepovers at her house; she would color with me for hours at the kitchen table. Every time our family got together to eat she would be sure to cook butter beans and when I came in she would say "I cooked butter beans for you Natalie"...it was the small things that let me know I was loved by her. In what may be the cruelest of fates, she is still here but her mind is not. The sweet woman who used to smile each time she saw my face no longer knows who I am but I do hope that every once in a while she can remember that I love her and I cling to the precious memories we made before she was sick; that she is a wonderful Grandma to me and will always be my Mamaw. And to my Daddy, I'm sorry if reading this made you cry - it made me cry writing it.

And lastly, to my Momma's Momma - my Nanny. The lady that has always been there to offer a listening ear and a word of encouragement. When we would all go shopping together, I knew you were my secret weapon - if I tried something on, you would rave about it non-stop and more than likely my Momma would be persuaded to buy it. You are a lesson in action when it comes to faith; you are still a woman who looks to God in times of struggle and your unwavering faith is both an inspiration and a lesson. Since my Momma is farther away now, your nearness to me is more important and I'm glad that I can always come running to your house when things get a little less than okay. My Nanny, I hope you keep on kicking for quite some time because I don't know what I'd do without your love, encouragement and support.

Nanny & I




















2 comments:

  1. Wow - I really don't know what to say! Thank you so much Natalie and I will never stop praying for you and loving you with all I ma! You are my first baby - you made me a Momma and I love you so much for that. Keep praying and keep waiting on God - He never fails!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay...so, there should have been a disclaimer that said you are likely to cry after reading this! Wow! Amazing! All those things are so SO true! I could not agree with you more!

    ReplyDelete