Monday, May 4, 2020

Welcome to Week Seven

It's Monday and it's the start of the seventh week of working from home - WOW. I can tell you with absolutely certainty that when working from home began seven weeks ago, I did not think it would last this long. I think that is the feeling of the nation as a whole - so I'm not sharing anything new there. 

I have been making notes in my planner and of course; the posts I do here, because I want to remember the feelings that went along with this crazy time! Phrases that we never used but that have become common place... and honestly - how my friends and I went from comparing a new shirt we purchased to comparing the face masks we had! What a unique time to be alive! 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=15a3tmt99SJFECmE6f1ibh5efOr4jfwcD

Friday was such a gorgeous day - after a week that was filled with more rain than anything else - and I was thrilled to see the blue skies. Our neighborhood is "adopting" a restaurant each week to support them during this time and it was Schaffer's BBQ in Middletown this week - so that was where supper was from on Friday night and I have to say - pretty tasty! It's been an age since we watched a movie, so I convinced my family to watch Thor: Ragnarok - which may be my favorite Marvel movie. Once the ended, I fell down a Disney hole on YouTube & then ended up talking to my sister on the phone until almost midnight!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=16KjbY-hip1Om29TucQ_gZzPgSLRRoawI

Saturday was another gorgeous day - and I actually had some things to do on Saturday, so I was thrilled to see such perfect blue skies and sunshine! The family drove up the road a bit to Haymarket to watch the US Air Force Thunderbirds and the US Navy Blue Angels do a joint fly-by of the DC area as a thank you to health care workers. The flight path went directly over the Novant Hospital in Haymarket - it can pay off quite well to have a family member that works for the FAA - we were right under the flight path! 


There were people all over the parking lot at the hospital but everyone found their own little space and stayed there - no one was mingling together - so everyone was maintaining social distances. The planes flew right overhead and that was that... my Dad said "well that was quick" and it was! It was still neat to see and once it was done, we drove over to Foster's Grille, put our face masks on and ordered some burgers to go for lunch. We ate them sitting in the sunshine in the car and took the scenic route back to the house after eating.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1jRBOJEU7uNrG9EeMueO-RoADp3e--rPb

It has been weeks and week since I've just had a really good hamburger and french fries and I confess - I inhaled it! *facepalm* Once we got home, I whipped up some Smores style brownies, talked with a friend and just sat on the back deck enjoying the sunshine and the breeze - the weather was delightful! And now I'll confess - at about 4:45, I hopped in my car and drove over to West Virginia to have dinner with my friends Danielle and Meridith and their spouses! We were a group of five, we mostly stayed outside and spread out around the fire pit in Danielle's back yard and it was so nice to see other people! 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1HgmxT1xm1x4daAA1jhjdTaZOkLuppgh5 https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=16oUn8-jCXFwAEH7Hp_xzAIImit8kE8lb

We had BBQ, grilled broccoli, corn and coleslaw with the Smore's brownies for dessert and the ladies sipped some sangria (I had to cut myself off after 2 glasses) while we caught up! It was really lovely to see friends again, just talk about life and the craziness of the world we are living in and catch up with one another - and as the sun set, we all sat around the fire with cups of coffee and shared spooky stories and experiences to the sound of the fire crackling and the wind rustling through the trees. It was fantastic! 

Sunday morning was a little more gloomy but after coffee and Sunday morning online church, I made a Panera to-go order, hopped in my car and headed to grab my food and meet up with my women's Bible study group! We met at the home of one of the ladies who lives out in the countryside - we were able to set up our chairs in a big circle, eat the take out we'd each brought and just spend time catching up, having worship and being in the glorious sunshine that came out shortly after we started our meet up! There were seven of us - it was so sweet to see those sweet ladies that were there and just do something a little bit like normal! 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1rg8S1kUFLatZh32N0h2lNClEUEwvUke5

I arrived back home around 4:30, spent some time chatting with my sister and then watched the newest episode of Outlander before having Brunswick Stew for dinner - it was delicious, if a bit more spicy than I'm used to! I took a bubble bath and watched some Rick Steve's Europe (I know this is all very riveting...) before I fell into an Instagram hole looking back at all my pictures... whoa - that sounds pretty self-absorbed. *shrugs*

I think I was mostly enjoying the pictures that reminded me that I used to go lots of places and do lots of things - and it also reminded me that I will do those things again - one day. It's the seventh week of working from home, my planner reminded me that I had (have - I still have them) tickets to a Nationals game on Wednesday night. I swirled the words "postponed" around the game and reminded myself that today I have sunshine, I have a good job, I have a family and friends (old and new) and that even though it's week seven - it's a pretty good day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment