Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Long Weekend - Lots of Pictures

What a good long weekend it was - but man, it passed way too quickly! I can't believe it's already Tuesday, it seems like I blinked and the weekend flew by! 


The weekend kicked off early with a 4 PM release from the office and I immediately threw on my sandals and headed outside with my pup. The weather for last week was forecasted to be rainy all week but the weather played out much differently and the sun was shining brightly at 4 on Friday afternoon. After a walk around the neighborhood, it was off to peruse Hobby Lobby (which is now open) and pick up take-out from Ruby Tuesday. We ate on the ground of Shenandoah University and then perused the campus in the lovely weather! 

  



We popped into Costco for a few items before heading home and I spent a chunk of the night watching The Great on Hulu before crashing. I joked with my family that it almost felt like a typical Friday night - granted; we didn't usually wear face masks when we went out shopping on Friday night, but close enough.

Saturday was another beautiful day and I spent the morning having my coffee, doing some organizing and tidying in my little home and getting ready to get my hair cut. The whole business of getting a hair cut is another completely different experience now - I had to call when I arrived, have my temperature taken, wash my hands and keep my mask on at all times! However, when it was all said and done - my hair got cut off, I chatted with my friend Melissa and everything went perfectly! 


I popped home, joined my parents and we headed into West Virginia to visit with some friends and drop off birthday presents (better late than never, thanks COVID!) before making our way into Maryland for a bit. Some family friends bought an old stone house from the mid-1800's and are restoring it piece by piece, by hand and it will be massive undertaking but it was a thrill to see the house and the land it's on and hear the history behind the place. I didn't get any pictures but they did share about a waterfall right up the road and so we said our goodbyes and headed to check it out! 



The waterfall was gorgeous and was literally a short walk down the hillside from the very busy road! I looked it up but there isn't even a name for the little waterfall, so it's almost like a hidden gem - however there were plenty of people who had stumbled onto it! It might have something to do with the fact that it's located on a path where tubing and kayaking companies exit the Potomac and head back up the hill! Talk about a scenic end to your adventure! 





After snapping some pictures and taking in the scene, we popped over to Five Guys for dinner and I do believe it was the first time I had a fast food hamburger and fries in months - and it was divine! After returning home, I spent the rest of the evening relaxing on the deck in the fading sunlight, chatting on the phone and reading! 

Sunday was a very chill day: church at home, a lunch at Panera, a pop into the AT&T store to get a new cell phone (yahoo!), shopping at Kirkland's & Wal-Mart and then home to pass the afternoon. I set up my phone and we took a long walk around the neighborhood, taking in some of the lake trails before heading home to have dinner and watch the Washington Nationals reveal their World Series rings - which are GORGEOUS. I'd love to have a replica - but I would also love to keep the $15,000 that Josten's wants for that bad boy. No thanks! 


It was so nice not to have to set an alarm for Monday and I ended up sleeping until almost 9:00 - something I haven't done in ages! After having my coffee, I got myself put together and made a picnic lunch for myself and hopped into the car - for the quick trip over to Luray! The family and I had a picnic lunch at the park as you enter Luray and then it was into the newly reopened Shenandoah National Park to hike to the Stoney Man Summit!


 


The Stoney Man Summit Trail is located right next to the Skyland Lodge in Shenandoah National Park and is an easy hike of about 1.6 miles (round trip) to the second highest point in the park at 4,010 feet. The views are stunning and made especially so when the sun through the clouds makes patterns on top of the ridges. I'm sure you aren't surprised, but I took quite a few pictures!






 




 


It was so good to be in the National Park again - and wander through nature to take in the spectacular sights and sounds that the Park has to offer! I'm so very glad the Park is open again and I hope it will be able to stay open, since it provides so many wonderful opportunities to explore!

When we returned home, we grilled burgers and corn on the cob with salads for dinner and even Watson got a bite of hamburger! The final hoorah for the Memorial Day Weekend was a drive over to New Town Creamery to get ice cream - and yes, Watson got to come along a get a pup cup for himself, which he heartily enjoyed! 

 

The weekend was wonderful, even if it did pass to quickly! I'm like Watson, having enjoyed all the goodness of the weekend and left begging for just a little bit more! Aren't we all?

No comments:

Post a Comment