Sunday, May 31, 2020

May Amusement

I suppose there is a bit of irony in naming this May Amusement because I don't know that there was much amusement in the month of May. I did plenty but not necessarily things on this list; it was all about finding amusement outside the box this month. 

MAY 2019 NEWSLETTER – ACADEMY OF NORTH PALM BEACH

Anticipations

There isn't really much on my June calendar because of the Coronavirus... *sigh* That's the way of the world right now. The stay at home order for Virginia is meant to be lifted on June 10th but originally it was with the thought that life would go "back to normal" when that happened but I think it's becoming clear that life may not go back to normal any time soon. Just this past Friday the Governor announced that face masks will be a requirement for the entire state of Virginia - so it looks like things are going to be very different. 

Books I Read

I confess that I haven't been doing a lot of reading this month! I'm not sure why but whenever I sit down to read, I just can't get into the books I have on hand and so the month has sped by without me really cracking open a book. I know - shame on me.

The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller - I have to make a notation here because I started reading this book on May 29th and absolutely inhaled it! I started it Friday evening and finished it on Sunday morning and I thoroughly enjoyed it (obviously). The book tells the story of Achilles through the eyes of his life time companion, Patroclus and the retelling of Greek myths and legends is excellent! I've previously read Madeline Miller's book Circe and enjoyed it, so I figured I would enjoy this one as well - and I did. I think I maybe enjoyed it more!

I definitely look forward to seeing what she writes in the future!

Books on the Shelf

I have a whole passel of books that I purchased early in the quarantine that I could read... I just need to get into it and then perhaps I'll end up blazing through some of them. I currently have Get Out of Your Head by Jennie Allen and The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom sitting on my desk to get into. And literally a stack of about 10 other books to read as well. 

Movies of the Month

I have nothing here guys - all the movie theaters are still closed and the movies that I've watched this month have been repeats of movies I've seen before! I was so looking forward to seeing Black Widow this month - but now it's not coming out until the end of the year. *sigh* So, nothing new to discuss here. 

Must See TV

The Great - A "sometimes truthful" telling of the marriage of Peter of Russia and Catherine, who would go on to become the woman known to history as Catherine the Great. The Great is 100% hilarious and takes a satirical look at history, placing historical figures into a compelling story line filled with laughs and a pretty healthy dose of impropriety and bawdiness. Honestly, I feel that the impropriety is probably one of the more accurate portions of history, ha-ha!


Watch "The Great" Series Premiere May 15 | Hulu

Defending Jacob - The first show I've watched on Apple TV and boy, what a show to start with! My sister and I have joked endlessly about watching Captain America and Lady Mary in this thriller-esque whodunit crime drama, which I have thoroughly enjoyed! It kept me intrigued through all eight episodes and I was sad to see it come to an end! The twists and turns were fabulous and kept me guessing until the credits rolled!


Defending Jacob on Apple TV+

Killing Eve - A friend turned me on to this show and I devoured the first two seasons on demand just in time for the third season, which has been so very different from the two that came before it. It's been compelling and intriguing but I have to say... the episodes this season have kept Jodie Comer's Villanelle and Sandra Oh's Eve apart - and I find the show doesn't have the same "oomph" for me when the leads are not playing against each other. Having said that - the show is still so good and nothing but enjoyable! 

Watch Killing Eve Streaming Online | Hulu (Free Trial)

Tasty Treats

It would seem that I always look for the good things to eat, pandemic or no! This month has been no exception and while it seems like I am always posting all kinds of food - I am still in the process of losing weight. Everything in moderation, I suppose! I made a Mother's Day Brunch that included Vanilla Pudding Fruit Salad, Hash Brown Casserole and Lemon Rolls - it was divine! I also discovered the delicious cookies made by Cookie Therapy; they're cute, so perfectly made and taste amazing! 

I devoured some fajitas when my favorite Mexican restaurant was able to open back up and I tried my hand at whipping up some of The Grey Stuff - from Beauty & the Beast, of course! The Quarantine Baking got me twice: I made some peanut butter brownies and a S'mores Flatbread - and both were so very good! 

Tunes & Talks 

Courtesy of a friend, I have become pretty addicted to the podcast Crime Junkies and with thanks to another friend, I've also been binge-listening to the podcast Noble Blood. I have made my way through quite a lot of episodes of both of those because I'm just working from home and it's very quiet in my little office. I've also been listening to some playlists from Apple Music and the newly released season five soundtrack of Outlander.

***************************************************

I can't believe it's almost June. This year; so far, has been - maybe unique is the best way to put it? 

No comments:

Post a Comment