Monday, June 24, 2019

Three Day Weekend Things

Monday always comes around again - doesn't it? My Mom would say that the alternative isn't a good thing so one might as well embrace the Mondays... and I suppose she's right. This Monday has been (so far) nothing too crazy - just life unfolding as it does. 

The past weekend was a good one that managed to be filled with plenty of things to do but also provided plenty of things to not do; time to just be a bum, as you do on the weekends. Friday morning I slept in (yahoo for days off) and after having coffee, I exercised and got ready for the afternoon activities: DC, Yards Park, a late lunch at Due South and Nationals baseball. 

Image may contain: food Image may contain: food

After an uneventful Metro ride, my Mom and I made our way to Due South where I had a delicious Pimento Cheese Bacon Burger with a side of Brunswick Stew - it was so tasty...so very, very tasty! When we finished our late lunch we strolled next door for dessert at Ice Cream Jubilee, one of my very favorite places in DC for a tasty treat - I got a scoop of Whiskey Toasted Marshmallow and a scoop of Lemon Muffin Top - divine!

Image may contain: sky, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

We took our ice cream to the Dock at Yards Park and sat alongside the Anacostia River, snacking on delicious ice cream, enjoying the breeze and taking in the gorgeous weather - it was the Summer Solstice after all! Shortly after 5:00 we walked over to Nationals Park, grabbed our Max Scherzer bobble heads and made our way to the top deck to relax for a bit and take in the activities unfolding around the park: batting practice, interviews on the big screen, people filing into the park and finding their way to their seats. I love baseball - I especially love baseball at Nationals Park on a Friday night. 

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 2 people, including Ginger Watson Summerlin, people smiling, sunglasses Image may contain: one or more people, crowd, stadium and outdoor

I thought I'd chosen seats in the shade but for a 7:05 game we ended up sitting directly in the sunshine for the first hour of the game - yikes! Thankfully it was cool and there was a near constant breeze blowing, so it wasn't too bad. It was hard to actually see what was happening without holding my hand up to my face... but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do! The game was a good one, we got to see a Yan Gomes home run and the Nationals came out on top 4-3, besting the Atlanta Braves - it was certainly a good game!

Image may contain: crowd

Saturday was a pretty chill day - I slept in, which was glorious. We got home from the Nationals game around 11:30 on Friday night and after reading for just a little bit, I wasn't asleep until after midnight - so sleeping in was pretty lovely. I had coffee, had breakfast, got in my exercise and then got ready for the rest of the day. I popped into Hobby Lobby with some Game of Thrones final season copies of Entertainment Weekly magazine to have framed; I'll be picking those up in a few weeks and I can't wait to see how they turn out! 

After a late lunch at Red Robin (yuuummm!) and a quick stop at Target, we headed back home for the afternoon and ended up having a sort of Game of Thrones marathon: my parents blazed through episodes two - five of the final season as the evening unfolded. This is my second time watching the final season of Thrones and I still don't dislike it as much as most people seem to... but it's hard not to find flaws. *sigh* 


Sunday morning..after sleeping in again (glorious y'all...glorious) I joined my parents for brunch at West Oaks Farmers Market where the food was tasty and the views were stunning. We stumbled on this place just a couple weeks ago and it's just the absolute best little spot - the land around the market is beautiful, the market itself is large and filled with amazing items to purchase and peruse and the venue itself is also outstanding. It's just a lovely spot to spend time!



After brunch I headed home and did some reading before meeting my friend Danielle to see Rocketman - which I've really been looking forward to seeing since it came to theaters at the end of May. The movie was great; the music was of course fabulous, but the story itself was also excellent and Taron Egerton looks so much like Elton John that it's a little bit scary. Once the movie was over, I headed home to wrap up the long weekend.


I had Cheerios for dinner (which is what the sweet pup is begging for...) and watched the finale of Game of Thrones with my parents. My Mom's assessment of the finale: "well poop"... and my Dad's assessment: "everyone just compromised and went on about their business..." So - there's that. After a quick shower, I watched Big Little Lies (I'm not loving this season as much as season one) with my Mom before reading and hitting the bed!


It was a good three day weekend - I'm looking forward to a four day weekend not this weekend but the next... that's a mouthful, isn't it? Any how - onward to the week ahead and the potential adventures that it will hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment