Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Stuffed Bell Peppers!

Oh recipes and cooking - how I love it all! Beyond the recipes that are often set in stone, there is the cooking I sometimes like to do; the kind of cooking where you just throw things together and hope it all comes out delicious. This is one such thing - because while stuffed bell peppers are a pretty common thing to cook, I'd never made them before and I basically just struck out with my own idea of how I wanted to do it - and hoped for the best. And was greatly rewarded with a delicious supper!

Ground beef...spices...an empty pepper shell...

How can you ever go wrong with ground beef, cheese and salsa, am I right?

My pepper taking a VERY warm bath; also a very quick bath.

Ready for the oven!
Stuffed Bell Peppers

-Green bell peppers, tops taken off and insides scooped out.
-ground beef, browned
-salsa (I used Pace mild)
-shredded cheddar cheese
-chili powder
-cumin
-salt
-pepper
-onions
-water

Cut off the top of each pepper, scooping out the insides of each pepper until it forms a hollow shell. Put water in a pot and once boiling, drop the peppers into the water for 3 minutes.

Brown the ground beef, mixing in chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, onion and a small bit of water. Once well cooked, add in shredded cheese and salsa - as much or as little as you like.

Stuff each pepper with ground beef mixture and top as you'd wish - I used shredded cheese and really liked the crunchy "crust" that it formed but you could also put some extra salsa on top too! I may try that next time. Sit each pepper in a dish that has water filling the bottom - obviously you don't want to submerge the peppers but they should be sitting in the water.

Cook for 40 minutes at 350 degrees! Serve with some of your favorite Mexican-style or Spanish-style side dishes and enjoy!

Ready to be eaten...so delicious!

When cut in half...even more wonderful! 

1 comment:

  1. These look fantastical! I love stuffed peppers with all my heart and soul =) Never tried them with salsa though - nice kick! :D

    ReplyDelete