Thursday, November 21, 2013

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas

I know - Thanksgiving is still a week away - but guess what? I really am not concerned about all that. You see, Thanksgiving is SUPER late this year. Super late. And I'll be in Virginia until late on December 1st and I consider it absolute sacrilege to let December 1st come and not have Christmas decorations up. So, last Saturday I was feeling a little blue and unproductive and decided I'd turn that mood around and throw up all my Christmas decorations.

Throw up - maybe that's not the best way to phrase it? Gross. Just kidding, I decided to fling Christmas cheer from one end of the house to the other. That sounds a little bit better. I've got to make the place look good since my family is coming to the land of Mississippi this year for Christmas. So - the cheer has been spread and I've decided to share just a few pictures with you. Trust me - this really is just a few. If I took a picture of everything Christmas in my house, you'd just stop reading. Ha-ha!

THE Christmas tree. 

Okay - this was only going to be pictures but maybe I'll share some stories too. My "big" Christmas tree has such good memories attached to it. My Junior year at the University of Southern Mississippi, I was living with one of my closest friends (then and now) Kristen. About a week before Thanksgiving break, we decided to make one of our late Sunday afternoon Target runs (I miss living near a Target SO much. Just oh so much.) and we were swept into the magical Christmas section of the store. One person who is crazy about Christmas is bad enough, but we both absolutely love the holiday and so we were overwhelmed with excitement. All the Christmas trees were on sale - like, hugely on sale - and so then and there, I picked out a tree, Kristen picked some ornaments and well...honestly we both went a little nuts on the Christmas aisles. We went home and spent the rest of the night listening to Christmas music, decorating our apartment for Christmas and I do think we even watched Elf. Once I graduated from college, my tree became the centerpiece for my own Christmas decor in my own house. I love my first tree and I love the memories attached to it. That being said, I think next year it might be time for a new one - this tree is starting to get to looking a bit sparse; not to mention I have so many ornaments that this tall, skinny tree almost can't hold them all!

The guest room tree!

Done in US Air Force colors - because this tree was given to me for safekeeping by Lindsey. Go Falcons!

Watson's tree - and oh gosh, maybe ignore that dust. Yikes!

My Peanuts Christmas band...and my stocking. Ready to be filled!

My Christmas village and snowmen...

One of many Nativity that I own.

A hat and antlers hung by the door...

My Peanuts Christmas village!

Some holiday decor in the kitchen - all they do is hang there; they are WAY too pretty to actually use.

A little holiday cheer on the kitchen counter!

My Willow Tree Nativity - which took several years to put together and is something I absolutely love. So beautiful.

Christmas dishes - a gift from my sweet Nanny!

Just a little centerpiece...

The Christmas tree in my bedroom - as well as my Smokey Mountain Nativity.

A wreath on the front door.

Instead of a flag - there are some Christmas ornaments hanging on my shepherd's hook...

A reindeer waiting for Santa to arrive.
Well - maybe it was just one little story. I don't know about you, but I love Christmas and I love coming home to a house all decorated. There is something a little bit more special about this time of year; twinkling lights and a sense that maybe we can all be just a little bit kinder. It's a feeling we always wish we could have year-round but there is a part of me that thinks if the warmth of Christmas was with us 24/7, the Christmas season wouldn't be quite as special. The season is almost here - have you gotten ready yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment