Friday, November 15, 2013

Black Bean Soup

This may be one of my favorite soups ever - I'm not sure why I don't make it more because every time I cook it, I remember how absolutely delicious it is. I have trouble deciding whether I like this or potato soup better - I suppose it all depends on my mood. It has definitely been soup weather here in MS; it was 24 when I woke up on Thursday! Brrr! Since it was almost that cold on Wednesday night when I got home from work, I decided to whip up a pot of this soup and I'll share the recipe with you now! It's easy and delicious!

Ingredients...ingredients...not too many!

The smell of these things cooking, they make the house smell wonderful. And it makes my stomach rumble.

Simmering up some goodness!

Making a hot black bean smoothie for an appetizer! Just kidding...kind of...

The smoothie goes back in to join the rest of the soup!

Black Bean Soup

-3 cans black beans
-1 bell pepper, chopped
-1 onion, chopped
-32 ounces of beef broth (or chicken, I've used both & it really doesn't alter the taste)
-garlic powder; about a teaspoon...I usually just eyeball it.
-1 tbsp. cumin
-1 tsp. chili powder (or less...how spicy do you like it?)
-salt to taste
-Canadian bacon; chopped...or ham, which I used because I couldn't find Canadian bacon
-cheese; mozzarella or Swiss for a topping

Chop up your onion, bell pepper and Canadian bacon/ham. Add to the soup pot with garlic and cook for about 5 minutes, until the onion begins to become translucent. Add in cumin, chili powder and salt and cook for about another minute.

Add all three cans of beans and the broth; simmer for 25-30 minutes.

Take out approximately 2 cups of soup, puree in the blender/food processor, add back to your soup on the stove and cook for 5 more minutes - this serves to thicken the soup a bit.

Serve with shredded mozzarella as a garnish, or even go the route of most French onion soups and just lay a slice of Swiss on the top. I've had it both ways and it's delicious no matter how you do it! You can even add tortilla chips if that's your pleasure - I prefer to enjoy it without them, but I've tried it that way before too! Enjoy!

Without cheese/with cheese...either way, it tastes amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment