Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Hula Pig Chicken

I've done it again - I've thrown things together and created something delicious. It's amazing what you can come up with when you think you don't have that much food and then you hunt around. This recipe involves chicken - which is shocking, I know. I should confess when I was small my Mom used to tell me that I was going to turn into a chicken tender. I'm a fan of chicken, therefore I cook it a lot. So if you are a fan of the bird, you should find plenty to like about the recipes I post. Onward to goodness!

Frozen chicken, frozen hams & BBQ sauce - only Sweet Baby Ray's for this girl!

Doesn't that look delicious?

That looks more like a homicide scene than food being cooked - oh well...

I knew I had some chicken tenders in my freezer and I'm trying to get most everything cleared out before I leave on Thursday going to Colorado Springs. I've cooked chicken in the crock pot dozens of times but I wanted to do something a little different. I found some leftover cubed hams also in my freezer and thought if I threw the chicken and ham together in the crock pot and put in barbecue sauce, it would probably be pretty delicious. So on Monday morning, I threw it all together and remembered to both turn on the crock pot and plug it in.

I told my parents on the way home Monday that when I walked in the door, I was expecting for my nose to be assaulted with delicious aromas. I was not disappointed and Watson immediately made a beeline for the kitchen to sniff the air and try to discern what I'd cooked up for "us" to eat. Silly dog.

Oh yes...this will be delicious.

I added pineapple as an after thought; to make it more like a Hawaiian dish...

I'll add pineapple at the beginning the next time...but this worked fine too.

How delicious does that look? Seriously - I want some right now.

Supper - not bad for a Monday!

I also discovered in making this meal that I have a dog that likes pineapple. Watson is not picky by any means; he will eat almost anything you put in front of him but when he doesn't like something, he lets you know. I slipped him a bite of pineapple with barbecue sauce on it and he was a bit hesitant but ate it. I gave him just a bite of plain pineapple and he inhaled it like it was a drug! I guess dogs have eaten funnier things, but I get pretty tickled knowing my dog gets excited about having pineapple and green beans. Little nut.

Don't you want a bite of pineapple? Watson might share...

Hula Pig Chicken

-7-8 boneless chicken tenders
- cubed hams, small
- Barbecue sauce (Sweet Baby Ray's is the best)
- 1 small can pineapple chunks

Throw all the ingredients into the crock pot. Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment