Friday, May 31, 2019

May Flowers

This post would normally be a Five on Friday but I honestly don't have even two or three things on my mind...much less five! :) So having said that and since it's the last day of May, I thought I'd just go ahead and share my May recap of all things entertainment and enjoyment! Y'all have a good weekend!

Image result for May

Books I Read 

Fire & Blood by George R.R. Martin - Okay, well I am honestly still in the process of reading this book because I got distracted by re-reading the original Game of Thrones books. #Nerdalert with this one though - it's a history of the Targaryen conquest and rule in Westeros and I'm absolutely eating it up. George Martin just writes so incredibly well and it's so easy to read his books!

Now if he'd only hurry up and finish Winds of Winter - that'd be great!

Books on the Shelf

I have still got so many books on the shelf that have fallen to the way side and I'm sure I'll eventually pick them back up and give them a read. But as predicted, I'm a little distracted by all things Game of Thrones right now... ha-ha! I've even been reading chapters of A Clash of Kings in between chapters of Fire & Blood...

Must See TV

Game of Thrones - Well. I don't know that I completely believe that the final season of Thrones is over and done with, but I suppose it must be! April contained the first three episodes of the six episode final season and May contained the last three episodes - which were also the weaker episodes of the season. *sigh* I loved the first half of episode four, pretty strongly disliked episode five and quite honestly held my breath when it was time for the finale - and breathed a sigh of relief when the episode ended and I discovered I'd actually really liked it.


Image result for game of thrones season 8 episode 6

Image result for game of thrones season 8 episode 6

The performances by the cast this season (as with every season) were spectacular but there is just no way to deny that it all felt so very rushed - which I do hate. I am happy with how the show wrapped up the story lines, even if my heart breaks a little bit for the complete destruction of a favorite character and his arc... When all is said and done though, Game of Thrones will always be my favorite television show and I will enjoy being able to revisit Westeros again and again for the rest of my life. Jon Snow, Jaime Lannister and Brienne of Tarth will always be my three favorite characters and I will always be glad I took this cinematic journey - because let's be honest - it might be a TV show, but it was nothing short of cinema quality!

The Spanish Princess - The Starz series follows it's predecessors The White Queen and The White Princess in telling the stories laid out in Phillipa Gregory's novelizations of the women that established and created the Tudor dynasty. The Spanish Princess follows Catherine of Aragon as she travels to England to marry Prince Arthur... and also follows the decisions made for her and about her after Arthur's untimely death. She would eventually be Henry the 8th's first wife - and the show certainly plays fast and loose with historical details - but the costumes and sets are fabulous and the acting is delightful too!


Related image

This show is four episodes into it's eight episode season - so we shall see how the rest of the story plays out in June!

The Last Watch - This two hour documentary premiered a week after the finale of Game of Thrones and was an immersive look into the people that brought the final season of Thrones to life. It was a fascinating watch and allowed the spotlight to be shone on the crew members who work so hard behind the scenes to make sure each shot is just right (barring a rogue coffee cup or water bottle...). The story introduces watchers to Andy McClay who has worked as an extra for all eight seasons, Barry & Sarah Gower who work on prosthetics, David Nutter & Miguel Sapochnik who directed five of the final six episodes and so many more...

Image result for game of thrones the last watch

The brief bits and pieces involving the main cast are sparse - but honestly - they get to shine each week in the show itself! The table read of the final season is a delight to watch and seeing Kit Harrington say good-bye to Jon Snow is also a really interesting watch. I thought the documentary as a whole was so fun and fascinating!

Movies of the Month

Tolkien - This movie was perfectly lovely and as a fan of Tolkien's books, there are so many little nods and tips of the hat to the stories he would write in the scenes of this movie. I'm glad I went to see it and I thought Nicholas Hoult was wonderful in the title role. I thought the love story was nice, but the real heart of the film (for me) was the fellowship of friends he made in his school days that inspired so much of his life. I did think the movie was a bit slow at times - but overall it was enjoyable.


Image result for tolkien film

Aladdin - I went into this movie with some reservations... the reviews I'd read were not positive, but I should always know better than to trust reviews. I thought the movie was really fun, well done and extremely colorful! I'm also surprised to say that while Will Smith certainly could never replace Robin Williams as the Genie, he made the role his own and was (much like Robin before him) the best part of the movie! He added levity, personality and laughter to the movie. I think if you're a die hard Disney fan like I am - you'll love this retooling and retelling of the story. It's great!


Image result for aladdin live action


Tunes & Talks

Game of Thrones Season 8 Soundtrack - Oh my gosh...just when I think Ramin Djawadi can't outdo himself, he goes and crafts the most perfect soundtrack for the final season of Game of Thrones that has been on repeat in my office...my car...my house...for the past week (it came out on the 19th). Some of my personal favorites are: The Last of the Starks, The White Book and A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms...but honestly y'all, I love it all so much.

Image result for game of thrones season 8 soundtrack

And honestly - before the season eight soundtrack was released, I was listening to the soundtracks from seasons 1-7! Between the eight soundtracks, I have 10 hours and 56 minutes of music that is Thrones-themed, so I'm absolutely loving it!

I've also loved listening to Still Watching: A Game of Thrones podcast, Storm of Spoilers and Game of Thrones: The Podcast this month. I told y'all that my brain is consumed with all things Game of Thrones!

Tasty Treats 

Well this month was filled with so many good eats - starting the month with grilled kabobs; some made with sausage and veggies and a whole other group made with fresh fruit. Yum. I had a Smores Frappucino at the beginning of the month too and it was just as delicious as I remembered! The Apple Blossom Prayer Brunch had delicious Chick Fil A brunch items and of course - apple cheesecake!



I celebrated the end of Thrones with some divine cupcakes from Sprinkles and when Danielle and I made our way into DC for the day, the Chicken and Waffles from Due South was to die for...and my drink was pretty good too...ha-ha! I finished out the month with a divine Bacon Bianca pizza from Regions 117 and delicious New Deal Turkey and Blackberry Ice Cream Pie at Skyland Lodge. Yum!

Anticipations

For the most part, the month of June is pretty wide open - just like May was! I do already have tickets to Star Wars Day at Nationals Park and so I'm looking forward to that. The Nationals always do an exceptional job of bringing together baseball and Star Wars and the day is usually really enjoyable - and it will be even more so if the Nationals can get a win!


Image result for star wars day at nationals park 2019

The rest of June is open so I'll probably catch some movies, maybe go hiking with a friend... who knows what all I'll get up to next month? I cannot believe that the year is almost halfway over - didn't it just start?

**************************************

And just like - tomorrow is the first of June! 

No comments:

Post a Comment