Thursday, May 16, 2019

Playing the Game of Thrones

Related image

This Sunday is the finale of Game of Thrones - 8 seasons, 73 episodes, one of the largest casts in television history spanning one of the most complex stories - and it all ends on Sunday night. As I wait with baited breath for the finale and hope that the conclusion will be satisfying, I thought I'd share all the ways the show has crept into my day to day life... 

I honestly didn't realize how many Game of Thrones related things I'd been up to in the past few years but when I started perusing my photo albums... I was delighted to see all the delightful Game of Thrones themed things that I've done. Heck - once upon a time I even recapped episodes of Game of Thrones here on this blog (those posts can be found in Spring 2014 and Spring 2015 which are seasons four and five... and all the pictures and GIF's didn't translate...). So - until the finale - enjoy!

Game of Thrones: In Concert

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Danielle Hill, people smiling

Image may contain: one or more people and basketball court

Image may contain: one or more people, night, basketball court, concert and fire

The Game of Thrones concert experience is one that is not to be missed if you're a fan of the show - but especially if you're a fan of the music - which I am. I absolutely love the amazing score that Ramin Djawadi has put together for this show and seeing it performed live with all the instruments, musical performers and Ramin orchestrating it all - it's absolutely fabulous!

Game of Thrones: The Pop Up Pub

No photo description available.  Image may contain: 4 people, including Natalie Summerlin, indoor No photo description available.

Image may contain: 4 people, including Natalie Summerlin and Danielle Hill, people smiling, child, indoor and closeup

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, stripes Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin

Image may contain: one or more people

During the seventh season, a bar in downtown DC that frequents as a "pop up" and changes it's theme every few weeks became a Game of Thrones themed pub and so myself and my friends Danielle and Jennie made the trek into DC, waited in line for 2.5 hours and finally took in the pub in all it's grandeur. The bar had four areas: the North, Mereen, the House of Black & White and the Red Keep and included themed drinks - I got The Lannisters Send Their Regards - and I have to say, the wait was totally worth it and this was such a fun experience. 

Game of Thrones Night @ Nationals Park - 2017

Image may contain: screen, sky and outdoor

Image may contain: 3 people, including Natalie Summerlin and Danielle Hill, people smiling, closeup, outdoor and text Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, sitting No photo description available.

Image may contain: stadium, crowd and outdoor

The Washington Nationals held a Game of Thrones night at the park and as soon as it was announced, my friend Danielle and I grabbed our tickets and set out. We stood in line to take our picture on the Iron Throne, got our t-shirts with each of the Nationals players "house sigils" on the back and enjoyed all the Thrones themed cues throughout the game. We especially enjoyed the White Walker on K Street - cheering for every single strike out!

Game of Thrones: The Brunch

No photo description available. Image may contain: 3 people, including Natalie Summerlin, people sitting, people eating, table, food and indoor No photo description available.

Image may contain: 3 people, including Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, indoor

Image may contain: food Image may contain: people sitting, screen and indoor Image may contain: dessert, food and indoor

No photo description available.

In the Fall of 2017, shortly after the seventh season's original airing, a local pub called Union Jack's had a Game of Thrones themed brunch and once again, my friends Danielle and Jennie joined me and we had a delicious brunch! My meal consisted of Casterly Rock Red Bisque, The Wall (of French Toast) and a dessert of The Wolves Last Cake... and we also split some Lemon Cakes because those are Sansa's favorites! There were unlimited mimosas and episodes of Games of Thrones played in the background - so fun!

Halloween 2017

Image may contain: 3 people, including Danielle Hill, people smiling, people standing and indoor

The ultimate Game of Thrones outing was certainly Halloween of 2017 when my co-workers and I dressed as some of our favorite female ladies from the show. I dressed as Cersei Lannister, Meridith dressed as Melisandre and Danielle dressed as Daenarys Targaryen - the costumes were a huge hit and we are even thinking of re-purposing them for Halloween of 2019 - we just have to see where all three characters end up at the end! 

Game of Thrones Night @ Nationals Park - 2018

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, sitting

Image may contain: one or more people Image may contain: night Image may contain: food

Image may contain: stadium, sky, baseball, screen, crowd and outdoor

The 2018 season at Nationals Park brought about another Game of Thrones night at Nationals Park and Danielle and I once again made our way to the park to take it all in. Happily, this time around the Iron Throne was in an air conditioned room for pictures - so there was no sweating to death while waiting for our chance to have a seat on the throne. The give away was a Michael A. Taylor figurine at The Wall and we both had Dothraki Dogs for our dinner, ha-ha!

Game of Thrones: In Concert

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing

Image may contain: screen Image may contain: night Image may contain: night

Image may contain: one or more people and night

Image may contain: 1 person, night

Image may contain: night

Image may contain: night

Fall of 2018 was in the midst of the long wait for the final season of Game of Thrones and getting to see the concert experience once again was so amazing. The seats I had for my second viewing of this concert were much closer to the stage, which was completely redesigned for this second outing of the concert - and of course, the whole thing was spectacular. If there is one thing about Game of Thrones that has been consistently amazing - it's the music - and the concert is always excellent. 

************************************************

So - there you have it. All the awesome Game of Thrones related things that I've gotten up to in the past few years. I actually forgot there were so many! I'm thrilled that I'll be seeing the concert experience again in September and I can't wait to see how they've changed the show after this final season. I'm not feeling so certain that they'll stick the landing on Sunday night - but even if they don't, this show and the experiences related to it have been such an experience and I've enjoyed the ride immensely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment