Saturday, December 1, 2018

November Novelties

Image result for november

What I Read

The Fiery Cross - The fifth book in the Outlander series; once I re-read the fourth book (The Drums of Autumn), I kind of just continued - albeit at a much slower pace. I haven't read very much of this but honestly I haven't read very much at all for the entire month.

I also read a few more chapters of Erin & Ben Napier's book, Make Something Good Today when we were flying home on Sunday but I honestly haven't made much headway in the reading department.

Books on the Shelf

I have nothing - no suggestions or thoughts on what exactly I might want to read. I feel fairly certain that it doesn't matter though because I foresee my December being filled with watching lots of movies... of both the Christmas variety and the non-Christmas variety... so reading may continue to be scarce.

Must See TV

Outlander - The fourth season of Outlander started on November 4th and while it began with a bit of a whimper and a stumble on the second episode (my opinion...), the 3rd and 4th episodes were excellent! The Drums of Autumn is probably my favorite installment of the book series that Outlander is based on and I have so been looking forward to seeing it translated to the screen..and while so far there have been a few disappointments, all in all I am enjoying this fourth season. And with nine episodes still to go, there is so much more to watch unfold!

Image result for outlander season 4

Movies of the Month

Bohemian Rhapsody - Holy cow...how much did I enjoy this movie? It's the only movie I saw in the entire month of November and I actually ended up seeing it twice and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. I was raised listening to Queen music, so the songs in the film are all favorites and I'm not sure how he managed it...but Rami Malek absolutely nailed Freddie Mercury. It's mesmerizing to watch and the recreation of the Live Aid performance that it done at the end of the film is just...wow.

Image result for bohemian rhapsody

And I was less than a year old when Live Aid happened,  but it's considered the greatest rock performance of all time and the similarities between the actual performance and the movie's recreation is just... y'all, go see this movie.

What I'm Listening To

Queen - Well this should likely be a given...because I purchased the soundtrack before I went to the movie and I've been listening to that and the Queen Platinum Collection on repeat the past month. It's just good music and that's all there is to it.

Christmas Music - When I'm not listening to Queen, I have been listening to all the Christmas music. The local station started playing 24/7 Christmas music early in November and I've been rotating that channel, my Pandora Christmas channels and the multiple albums I have on my iPhone all month long. Y'all know I love Christmas and so I start listening to that music just as soon as I think it's acceptable, ha-ha!

Tasty Treats

I went to Italy this month...surely you had to know this section would be filled with all kinds of things, right? Before the trip to Italy, there was a delicious cocktail called the Killer Queen complete with a Freddie Mercury mustache, fruit tarts and macarons at the office wine tasting event, dinner out at Chuy's and some divine Nothing Bundt cakes!




Italy was just filled with lovely food - but I don't think I've come back "ruined" for all Italian food for all time. The best meal I had was on our first night, my tortellini with cream sauce and ham - it was dreamy! There was also the cake at Florian's Tea Room, the absolutely perfect fried cheeses that we had with dinner in Rome and all the gelato. Gelato everywhere you looked. And all of it fabulous!



We had gelato three times and it was probably not enough, ha-ha! I had several delicious versions of Pizza Margharita and don't even get me started on the fresh squeezed orange juice because I AM completely ruined for all other orange juices where that is concerned. I wasn't blown away by Italian coffee..I know, what a shame, right? However, I did have a divine Caffe Freddo on Saturday morning: cold coffee with cream and it was perfection!




What I'm Looking Forward To

Movies - Y'all know I love going to the movies... it is just one of those things that fills me with so much joy, sitting in a theater and being transported to another world for a little while! Well I am planning to make up for lost movie time this month and I'm hoping to go see Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald and The Grinch for sure...maybe I can fit in seeing The Nutcracker & the Four Realms, Instant Family and Robin Hood.

Charlottesville - The second week of December my family is making a little weekend visit to Charlottesville to celebrate my Mom's birthday and we will be staying in a yurt! How exciting is that? We don't have any definite plans set in stone quite yet for things to do, but it's a lovely part of Virginia and I can't wait to experience staying in a yurt!


Image result for shenandoah crossing yurt

Christmas Parties - Who doesn't love a good Christmas party? I have parties with both of my ladies Bible study groups, an office dinner that should be delicious and my office friends (also just life friends) and I always have our own little Christmas right at the office ahead of the break. It's all so exciting!

ICE @ Gaylord National Harbor - We have discussed going to ICE! at the National Harbor for a few years now but this year has got to be the year...because it's Peanuts themed! We will be bundling up in jackets and heading into the chilly installation to see all the wonderful ice sculptures and slides! The Gaylord at National Harbor also just has spectacular decorations for Christmas!


Image result for ice national harbor 2018

Christmas - The entirety of the Christmas season is my favorite part of the year! I love everything about Christmas - from the lights and songs and parties and decorations - I could go on and on. It all fills me with such warmth and happiness and I truly just enjoy every bit of the celebration, but most especially celebrating the birth of our Savior.


Image result for christmas nativity

No comments:

Post a Comment