Sunday, December 30, 2018

December Delights

Image result for december

Books I Read

Would you believe that I haven't actually "read" a book the entire month? I have two sitting near my bed... but I haven't cracked either one of them this month. *sigh* I just haven't found something that drew in my attention and kept me hooked in recent months...

Books on the Shelf

I used a gift card I got for Christmas and some Audible credits and stocked up on things to read! I've got five books on the shelf and I've already cracked open one (if you can say that about an audio book)! I purchased The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Am I There Yet: the Loop-de-Loop, Zigzagging Journey to Adulthood by Mari Andrew, Is This the Real Life: The Untold Story of Freddie Mercury & Queen by Mark Blake and I used Audible credits to load Educated: A Memior by Tara Westover and One Day in December: A Novel by Josie Silver.

So - I have plenty of reading to do in the future! I'm excited!

Must See TV

Outlander - December's episodes of Outlander have been some of my favorites of this season: Jamie and Claire were reunited with Murtaugh, Lord John Grey came for a visit to Fraser's Ridge, Brianna went through the stones and Roger followed hot on her heels, Roger and Brianna reunited in Wilmington and were hand-fasted and finally...finally... at long last, Jamie met his daughter, Brianna!

Image result for outlander season 4

There are just four more episodes in season four - I feel like it only just started and things are ramping toward the finale already! Book Four; which season four is based off of, has always been my favorite and while there have been a few bumps with the changes, for the most part I have loved this season. I can't wait to see the final four episodes! 

Mr. Robot - I will honestly confess that I borrowed parts of an "official" description of this show because it's a mind-bender and I wasn't 100% sure how to describe it... the show follows Elliot Alderson, a computer programmer who works in cyber-security engineer during the day and a vigilante hacker by night. He finds himself at a crossroads when the mysterious leader of an underground hacker group recruits him to help destroy the firm he is paid to protect. 

Image result for mr. robot

And honestly - that description just scratches the surface of this show. It has twists and turns and everything in the show means something - nothing is there by accident. The fourth and final season will be coming on this summer, so I'll easily be caught up... and if you're interested, you have plenty of time to get it in before summer!

Movies of the Month

The Grinch - This updated and animated version of The Grinch was heart-warming, funny and all around just a wonderful movie. The Grinch is still a grumpy, Christmas hating outlier but his hatred for Christmas actually comes from being along at Christmas as a child...not Christmas itself. Cindy Lou is spunky and sweet and her story line drives the movie along with snappy jokes, sweet sentiments and an all around lovely message about Christmas and love. I also really appreciated that the movie was able to be funny without including any crass jokes or double entendre(s) that fly over the head of children and are inserted for parents. In short - this movie was just a joy!

Image result for the grinch

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - Oh man, when the Wizarding World of Harry Potter takes a much darker turn; that's what this movie is! The movie builds on the first film in the five part series that began in 2016 and continues weaving the story of Newt Scamander, his allies to Albus Dumbledore and the wizarding world and also adds in nods and details to the original material along the way. In short - it was excellent! 

Image result for fantastic beasts the crimes of grindelwald

The film here is much darker and deals with heavier subjects than the first movie, but I thought the story line was still thoroughly enjoyable and there were still plenty of fantastic beasts throughout the movie - including my favorite, the Nifflers!

Mary Poppins Returns - Well! This was just the sweetest and most wonderful follow up to the original movie and I say that as someone who has never just been enamored of Mary Poppins. No need to throw things at me or scowl! Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda just shine in their roles and the rest of the supporting cast is spectacular.


Image result for mary poppins returns

The new songs are a delight and the story line is just perfection - honestly, if you are in any way a Disney fan, I'd so go see this one. It's pure Disney magic and... practically perfect in every way!

What I'm Listening To

I joked with my younger sister earlier this month that I was distracted from all my usual Christmas music all day/every day throughout the month of December because I was listening to Queen! It's true, I must confess... I have spent my December alternating between Queen, Christmas music and multiple podcast: the Bible Binge, Outlandercast, the Big Boo Cast and the Koffee Clatch Krew Mr. Robot podcast... whoosh! I was not lacking things to listen to, ha-ha!

Tasty Treats

What a month for good food y'all - what a month! I had my very favorite cocktail at the Alamo - the Killer Queen! I had more than one of Chick Fil A's delicious chocolate peppermint milkshakes (my boss said they're a thing of beauty) and indulged in some peppermint ice cream with chocolate shell!



I had a delicious meal in Charlottesville: chicken, a root vegetable dish and macaroni with ham gravy and my Mom and I shared pimento & cheese fritters! Yum! I got more Starbucks goodies than usual and devoured some Banoffee Pie at Nana's Irish Pub! And of course, all the divine foods we ate over Christmas Eve and Christmas Day! Delicious!

What I'm Looking Forward To

Honestly, January and February are two of my least favorite months on the whole calendar... the weather is usually pretty chilly and bleak and those months always seem like a bit of a letdown after the sparkle, bustle and cheer of the holidays. I don't have anything important on the calendar for January right now, so I suppose we shall see what unfolds?

**********************************************

That's all she wrote for 2018 y'all - can you believe another year of entertaining delights have come and gone? Who knows what wonderful movies, shows, books, tunes, podcast, treats and more that the new year will hold? See you back here for more in 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment