Sunday, November 1, 2015

What I was Into in October

The past month has been bewitching and blew past much too quickly - can you believe that we only have 2 months left in 2015? Sixty-one days separate us from a whole new year...ripe with possibility and promise. Granted, 2015 still has two months of possibility and promise to reveal...




Books I Read

So...I did read this month, but as usual...the book that I had listed on my "in the queue" list last month didn't even make the list of the books I actually read. And in completely abnormal fashion, I only read ONE book and it was the book for our November meeting of Book Club. Eek! Who am I??

Huck Finn by Mark Twain - I'll confess, I'd never read this before! And if I'm being honest...I didn't even get all the way through it. I started much too late to actually read all of it, but I did get about 55 pages in and was definitely intrigued. I certainly want to finish it...especially since it's a classic!

Books in the Queue

Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan - (from Amazon) When New Yorker Rachel agrees to spend the summer in Singapore with her boyfriend, Nicholas she envisions a humble family home and quality time with the man she hopes to marry. What Nick failed to mention was that his childhood home looks like a palace, he grew up riding in private planes and he's considered Singapore's most eligible bachelor. As soon as Rachel steps off the plane, her relaxed vacation turns into an obstacle course of old money, new money, nosy relatives and scheming social climbers....Not my normal fare, but it sounds good!

The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman - (from Amazon) After four years on the Western Front, Tom Sherbourne returns to Australia and takes a job as the lighthouse keeper on Janus Rock, nearly half a day's journey from the coast. To this isolated island where the supply boat comes only once a season, Tome brings his young, blod and loving wife, Isabel. Years later, after two miscarriages and a stillbirth, grieving Isabel hears a baby's cries on the wind. A boat has washed ashore carrying a dead man and a living baby...Tom wants to report the infant immediately but Isabel insists the baby is a gift from God; the two claim the baby as their own and name her Lucy. When she is two, Tom and Isabel return to the mainland and are reminded there are other people in the world and their choice has devastated one of them... Sounds interesting, no?

Can't Miss Television

Bones - I cannot believe this show is in it's 11th season! I mean, I know I love it but I feel like it's been about to go for quite a few seasons now and last season's finale seemed very much like a series finale for that very reason. I'm loving watching Booth and Bones navigate life back at the Jeffersonian/FBI while juggling two kids (who'd have thought 11 years ago that Bones would have not 1 but 2 kids??) and still managing to catch the bad guy every time! The cases get weirder each week and a special favorite episode this season (so far) has to be the Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover.


Sleepy Hollow - Oh how I love this show! I'm so glad I took a chance on it three seasons ago because the adventures of Abbie and Ichabod are endlessly funny to me...with just the right amount of creepy thrown into the mix. Okay, sometimes the creepy is more than a little, but you get the idea! So far Abbie has joined the FBI, discovered a former flame is now her boss and killed her share of bad guys while Ichabod has decided to pursue his American citizenship, learned the wonders of modern medicine and dentistry and is trying to chart the waters of dating. All of which lead to plenty of hilarious moments...and of course, as mentioned above, a particularly wonderful moment: the crossover with Bones!


Reign - Another show I took a chance on three years ago and fell in love with! It's obvious that King Francis isn't long for this world and I'm not sure where the show will turn once his untimely demise occurs, but I certainly see how this gives the show the chance for a breath of new life. Queen Elizabeth has also been brought in as a scheming foe across the channel, plotting and planning at every turn to take Mary's throne from her. Who knows where the story will turn in the coming months? I'm sure whatever course Queen Mary takes, it will be interesting!


Fargo - I got into this last year (mostly because of Martin Freeman) and when I saw that they were making a second season, I decided to check it out. I love Fargo's dark sense of humor and listening to the accents absolutely tickles me. I'm only two episodes in to this season but so far, I'm intrigued... Most of the characters are just barely squeaking by at this point; a body far too easily disposed of will certainly lure certain people into a false calm, and just like that, things will all unfurl and spiral into chaos. I can't wait!


Scandal - Oh my, yes...this show just hooked me completely. I have blazed through almost four seasons in just the span of a month (too much time on my hands or good time management - I'll let you decide) and I'm about to be caught up to the present airings on Thursday nights! I love the show; I still find myself conflicted about several of the characters though, especially Fitz! I love Abby, (Gabby, ha-ha) David and Melly...y'all, I LOVE Mellie. I love Olivia too - I guess you can love them both, right? I'm still not sure about Huck, (he stresses me out so much) Quinn, Cyrus...and Fitz! I can't wait to be caught up with present day episodes and see how things are unfolding...


Movies I Watched

I have watched absolutely no movies this month...none. Unless you count watching Hocus Pocus for character development, ha-ha. I just don't know what I'm going to do with myself!

Music I Listened To

The Light by The Album Leaf - This song is completely instrumental and I stumbled onto it while watching Scandal. Honestly y'all, half of the music I listen to comes from shows I watch...and this is probably a song that anybody who watches Scandal will recognize. I actually bought the whole album and I've really enjoyed the (mostly) instrumental songs...this one is a favorite, of course and you can listen to it below.


Oldies - I have recently been on a quick of listening to some of the classics on Pandora at work. I'm talking, the real deal: Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Dean Martin, Nat King Cole...you get what I'm talking about. There is just something about that music that makes you feel good and I thought I'd end up skipping over songs more often than not, but I seem to like every song! I guess that's why they're classics, because each one is just so perfect and timeless.


Yummy in My Tummy

Toasted Graham Latte - I confess; I'm cheating on the PSL. I already cheat on the PSL as it is because my true favorite is the Salted Caramel Mocha (until the Peppermint Mocha comes out and all bets are off) but the Toasted Graham Latte is new and it's delightful! I've had more than a few...ha-ha!


What I'm Looking Forward To (as always, brought to you with sarcasm)

Touring Nationals Park - Oh, a dream come true I tell you! This is a leftover birthday present from October and it will kick November off with a bang! We are headed into the city on the 1st to investigate Nationals Park from top to bottom...and maybe I'll even find a way to take a picture beside (inside) Bryce Harper's locker? Who knows...

Ha-ha....love it. I don't think there is wine on the Nationals tour...

Tea at 2 - The office is headed to tea for our first company outing...and of course, I'm thrilled! Y'all know I love a good "tea party" and our company tea will be at Horse and Coaches Tea Room which is where my surprise birthday tea was and is also a favorite place of my families'. I can't wait to see what delicious soup they're offering for the day...the flavor of scone that's being served...the tray of delectable treats that they bring out! And that's not even mentioning all the wonderful teas I'll get to choose from!

Certainly!

The Saints VS Redskins - Football! I've never been to an NFL game before and when my parents were perusing the Saints schedule for this year and saw that they were coming to RFK Stadium to play the Redskins, well we knew we had to go! A whole group of us are going...unfortunately all the rest of the football fans we're attending with are Redskins fan (Lordy no.) and so we'll be surrounded on all sides by the enemy. The Saints season has been shaky at best so far and our friend Eddie has been throwing around smack talk since May (yes - May), so I'm really hoping the Saints can pull out a win!

This is somewhat accurate. 

MS for Thanksgiving - Near the end of the month, we'll all be heading South to spend Thanksgiving with Lindsey in MS. It should be an interesting trip to say the least, since Watson will be joining us on the road. I know he'll do fine but he always adds an extra element to the fun! I can't wait to see Lindsey, spend time with our family and hopefully get to catch up with a friend or two. I can't believe I'm writing about Thanksgiving already....could this year have gone any faster??

Hahahaha...

No comments:

Post a Comment