Thursday, November 19, 2015

Birch Box: Take One

Have you heard of Birch Box? I'd heard about it here and there, mentioned on a blog post or someone's Facebook page but hadn't ever really taken the time to look into it. Recently I stumbled upon Birch Box online yet again and decided I'd sign myself up for it - in case you don't know, it's a monthly subscription ($10) and each box has five small beauty products. If you like the items, you can purchase them through Birch Box's online site and if you don't like them, well - no harm, no foul.

I'm sure every month won't be five for five and so I thought I'd share my thoughts on Birch Box here with you all. I signed myself up to receive the box for a year; I figured after a year, I'd have plenty of beauty supplies, a wealth of knowledge about how to use them and I'll probably look fabulous to boot.

Okay - that last part is completely a joke. I already look fabulous. Kidding. Sort of. Ha-ha!

The first box ever - my October box.

Birch Box - October
Eau Thermale Avene: Thermal Spring Water
Okay y'all - this is exactly what you (maybe) think it is. It's spring water in a spray can. I'm not kidding. Apparently it's meant to be refreshing and lovely and all that but I just couldn't help but get completely tickled that one of the things in the box was literally a spray can of water to spritz on your face to "refresh" you. Would I buy the larger size? No - because let's be honest, I could buy a spray bottle at Target and make my very own refreshing little container of water. Ha! Seriously though, this will set you back $12.50...for a spray can of water.

I will confess this though - after the miserable Saints game on Sunday, my face felt like it was on fire. I still don't know if it was because of the wind or because I was feeling under the weather (the game literally made me sick...ha!) but I used my little bottle of refreshing Spring Water several times and was really glad to have it!

Klorane - Dry Shampoo
Dry Shampoo - who doesn't need this stuff? I have the thinnest, most pitiful little head of hair and while I ranted and raved a while back about my PhD shampoo and getting to go two days without a hair washing...I may have raved a bit too soon. I'm still pretty dedicated to washing my hair almost daily because it's so fine that it just takes next to nothing to make it look limp and greasy. Gross - I know. It's true though. This is a sample size and while I wouldn't buy this exact brand (too expensive) it's good to have in my purse for emergency touch ups! I'll stick with my usual for at home fixes: Not Your Mother's Clean Freak...mostly because it's only about $5 and Klorane will set you back $20!

Well People - Expressionist Mascara
Mascara is one of those make-up/beauty items that no one can really live without; or at least, shouldn't be able to live without. Even if you aren't into eye shadow and liner and all that jazz, good mascara can really make a huge difference! I'm a die-hard fan of Maybelline's Great Lash mascara but Well People is (from the couple times I've used it) a really good product. I prefer the blackest mascara and this is just that - and it goes on smooth and clump free, which I definitely love. However, given that a tube of this stuff costs $23.50 - I won't be adding it to my make-up bag anytime soon. I'll be toting my mini version in my purse till it runs out though....

Make - Skin Illuminator
I will confess - I know nothing about layering, contouring or illuminating the skin - I guess this product is going to give me a crash course in that... This teeny tube contains skin illuminator which is meant to give your skin a youthful, dewy glow. I have no problem looking youthful and dewy (I don't guess I mind the dewy part...) but I don't know that I'd think it was necessary for every day wear. Perhaps you don't use it for every day wear anyway, I'm not sure. I'm such a make-up novice that I don't know if I'd ever really get into using something like this on a daily basis. However, as with almost all these things...the regular size will set you back $45. So yea...maybe I won't use this on a daily basis.

Clearing Solution - Ultra Fine Microfiber Sheet Mask
Who doesn't love a mask? I mean, they aren't just for dress up....right? This mask was meant to moisturize your face and I have to say - I guess it did that? I don't know. It really just felt so awkward on and I thought at some point perhaps it would not feel so slick and slimy (yes - those are the words I'd use to describe it) but it never did. From the time I put it on until I took it off, it just felt cold and awkward on my face. I guess my skin felt nice after the face, but at $9.00 a pop I don't see myself purchasing another of these. It just didn't blow me away.

All perfectly packaged in a wee little box.
So - this was my first box and the initial impression is mostly one of intrigue. This month the box had a lot of things that I'm probably never going to actually use much in my day to day; I just don't see myself becoming a user of skin illuminator or refreshing spring water spritz on a daily basis. I definitely see Birch Box as a way to be introduced to a lot of different or unique make-up and beauty products that I wouldn't normally purchase for myself. If for nothing more than that, I'd say $10 a month is a small price to pay to discover new beauty products.

Do you receive Birch Box? 
Do you receive something like Birch Box?

No comments:

Post a Comment