Monday, November 23, 2015

London Bound - Harry Potter and Heights

There are twenty-six days people. TWENTY-SIX. As in...less than a month. That's right - I'm a little bit excited about all this London business and so I thought I'd share just a few more things we'd be doing while we are in merry old London Town!

First and foremost on this post - are you a Harry Potter fan? Well, let me assure you that we are definitely fans in our house...at least, my sister and I are huge fans, my Mom has read the books/seen the movies and my Dad...well, I suppose he likes it all just fine because we like it, you know?

Well - a large chunk of the Harry Potter films were filmed at Leavesden Studios in Leavesden and as the films were made, the props, costumes and sets were put aside in the event they were needed later in production. When the final film wrapped in 2010, the studio was left with thousands of intricately designed costumes, sets and props...and nothing to do with them, so the Warner Bros. Studio Tour was conceived and the tours began in March of 2012.

Leavesden Studios - The Warner Bros. Studio Tour
The Lobby 
The tour offers the chance to walk through the set of the Great Hall...right over the very stone floors that Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint traipsed across filming the movies and you can also stroll along Diagon Alley if you'd fancy. The backlot is also a big part of the tour and allows guests to check out Number 4 Privet Drive, board the Knight Bus and even take a picture on Hagrid's motorcycle. Costumes and prop used in the films are located throughout the studio and when you've finished touring you can certainly help yourself to a tankard (or four) of Butterbeer...and let me tell you; I've had the stuff and I think I'm going to try to figure out a way to smuggle it out of there. Do you think it'd make it through customs??


Incredible: This extraordinary model of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry is due to go on display for the first time
Hogwarts - A filming model, obviously.
Great Hall: Inside Hogwarts Castle at the studios near Watford in north London
The Great Hall
The tour will no doubt be a highlight of our visit to London - granted; I feel like the whole trip itself will be a highlight if I'm being honest, but I'm sure this will be a lovely way to start the New Year though. The most delightful part of our tour is that because we are arriving mere days after Christmas, we will be getting the Hogwarts in the Snow Tour. The Great Hall will be decked out with eight Christmas trees, wreaths will line the walls, the Gryffindor Common Room will be festively furnished for the season, the Goblet of Fire will be on display as well...spitting out blue and red flames, much like it did in the movie. Hogwarts Castle will be covered in a blanket of snow as well; after all, the tour is called Hogwarts in the Snow...right?

If you're headed to London and you're a fan of Harry Potter, I think this should definitely be something on your list. If you want to check it out just because - look no further than right here. 

I mean - it's received the royal seal of approval. It's obviously amazing.
Another treat - I think - will be taking in the amazing views from the London Eye. I'll be the first to let you know that I'm terrified of heights. Terrified. So, I'm not 100% certain how this whole thirty minutes turning ever higher will really work out for me but I'm also bound and determined to give it a whirl. Pun completely intended.

The London Eye - All 443 feet of it.
Step right up...step right into your very own pod.

The London Eye was opened in March of 2000 and was (until 2013) the highest viewing point in London. Eek! There are 32 capsules (one for each borough of London) that allow passengers to ride in air conditioned (hopefully heated in December) comfort as the Eye makes it approximately thirty minute rotation, offering unparalleled views of London as far as the eye (Eye...hehehe) can see. 

I'm looking forward to ascending to great heights...albeit with a slight hint of trepidation. However, I know this could definitely be a once in a lifetime chance; I certainly hope to return to London in the future, but you never know. There are so many places to see - so I figure I'd better seize the chance to take a turn on the Eye when the chance is offered!

The Eye at Christmas
So - there you go. Only twenty-six days to go...and I still feel like I have so much more to share! I can't believe this trip is getting so close! Christmas will soon be here...and when it arrives, I'll be in London! 

No comments:

Post a Comment