Tuesday, November 17, 2015

London Bound - Day Trippin!

Y'all - London is only 37 days away. Thirty-Seven. 3-7! I don't know if I can even wrap my head around that, but I do know I had planned to write a little more about our trip than I have...since I haven't written anything else about since oh....July 30th! What in the world? I guess I've been busy living in the moment - which is good - and so I haven't been looking ahead too much...

Now though - less than forty days just doesn't seem that far away - so I guess between digging out the passport, buying tickets to attractions and tours...well it's all getting very close. I get tickled just thinking about it, but my bank called me a few weeks ago to make sure someone hadn't stolen my card to fund someone's vacation to London. Nope - just funding bits and pieces of MY vacation to London!

There really is so much to see and so little time to see it - we discussed the things we knew we wanted to see and the things we'd like to see if we could fit them in - and we've been using Lindsey as a sounding board; she's very jet set and this will be her FOURTH trip to London. I need to catch up! One of the things we decided would be best for us was day tours - you hop on a bus, it takes you all over the countryside to see some of the sights and then at the end of the day deposits you back! We chose two tours and I thought I'd share a little about what we'd be seeing on each one - I can't wait!

Day Tour One: Bath, Stonehenge & Windsor Castle

The Roman Baths - of Bath, ha-ha!
Bath - located in Somerset, South West England and is best known for the curative Roman baths built in AD 60 that still exist today. Our tour will allow us the chance to tour both the Georgian and Roman baths and give us insight into what life was like in the city in the time of the Romans. Pretty cool, huh?

Very mysterious!
Stonehenge - A prehistoric monument north of Salisbury; Stonehenge is arguably one of the most well-known sites in the world. While the site is well-known, it's use is still up for debate and the theories range from a site for healing, a site for death and even a site of ancient worship. I suppose in December I'll get to form my own theory!

When can I move in?
Windsor Castle - located in Berkshire; Windsor Castle has the distinction of being the longest occupied residence in Europe. The original castle was built in the 11th century and has been home to British monarchs since Henry I in 1110; it is today occupied by the Queen herself, but only as a weekend house! Our tour will allow us access to St. George's Chapel and the state apartments in the castle - exciting!




Day Tour Two: Stratford Upon Avon, the Cotswolds, Oxford & Warwick Castle

The home of Anne Hathaway
Stratford-upon-Avon - The home of one of the world's best known playwrights, William Shakespeare! A market town that was home to the Bard himself; we will be able to tour Shakespeare's birthplace, explore the town where he grew up and perhaps get a glimpse of the Royal Shakespeare Theatre.

This looks like something out of a movie....
The Cotswolds - A chance to check out the English countryside; the Cotswolds were designated as an Area of Outstanding Beauty in 1966. The Cotswolds promises rolling hills, thatched roof cottages and crooked village streets; the Cotswolds are steeped in history and heritage!

I'll feel smarter just being on campus...
Oxford - The college of Oxford dates as far back as the 13th century and can count Lewis Carroll, C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkein as just a few of it's many esteemed graduates. Our tour will allow us to explore the grounds, take in the Bodleian Library and the picture perfect courtyards...and hopefully let us hit up a souvenir shop - I'm going to need a sweatshirt, ha-ha!

A room with a view - certainly!
Warwick Castle - One of the oldest castles in England; Warwick was built in 1068 by William the Conqueror and still stands today; a beacon of history, offering insight into the past. The castle is over 1,000 years old and we will be offered the chance to explore the dungeon, take a look around the city center and perhaps step inside the castle to learn about the battles, banquets and ceremonies of Warwick.



We have so much more planned, I mean - we are managing to cram seeing all of this into two days! I'll be back again soon to share just a couple more things we plan to do. There are less than forty days to go. I can't believe it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment