Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What I'm Into in July

Want a little glimpse into my life this month? :)

Books I’m Reading/Plan to Read:
The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillippa Gregory: I needed something to read and I had to break myself away from my A Song of Ice and Fire books – you can only read something so many times. I’ve read this before but it was back when I was a Junior at USM, so it’s been awhile. I love the way the book is written and as a huge history nerd I’ve always been intrigued by the lives of the people that came before us; in this case Tudor England and the court of Henry the 8th – was the court of Henry the 8th really as scandalous as it’s made out to be? If so, isn’t that fascinating? If not, where did they come up with all this stuff?

A Little Salty to Cut the Sweet by Sophie Hudson: I haven’t started on this one yet but I read her blog pretty frequently and it always cracks me up. The reviews for it were all 5 star and since I’m pretty sure the book will be in the same vein as her blog, it has to be hilarious. Plus, I bought it as an Ebook and with a leftover gift card balance from Christmas (yes really, from 7 months ago) it was only $7! What a deal! I may be reading this on my plane rides. We will see. I’m counting on this book for laughter.

I hope this is funny...but I have a good feeling it will be.


Under the Dome by Stephen King: This one right here might be a mistake – only time will tell. I haven’t even  bought it yet but I saw the first episode of the TV show they have made from this book and I’m really intrigued. Granted, since it is written by Stephen King there is an element of horror to the book and I might end up being too scared to read the whole thing – but I doubt it. Plus, I’m a firm believer that the book is almost always better than the movie/TV show.

Can't Miss Television:
Under the Dome: As I mentioned above, this was a random find. They have been advertising this show for weeks and weeks…I almost got sick of it, but the advertisements must have subliminally done their job, because I DVR’ed the show and after one episode, I’m hooked. The premise is that out of nowhere, a huge dome sat down on this small town – the people inside can’t get out and have no contact with the people on the outside. Where did the dome come from? What’s going on? Will they all turn to cannibals once the food runs out? I don’t know…I’ve got to keep watching now though.
The Tudors: I had to bust this set out again after seeing Man of Steel; you see, I was on to Henry Cavill long before he had on Superman’s tights. I was watching him when he had on a whole different kind of tights; Tudor England style tights. This show is all about Henry the 8th and his court; all the scandal, deceit, and mystery that took place at his court and how his passions and hot-headedness changed the course of an entire nation. It’s amazing to think that one person can have such a profound effect on a whole nation – and again, was this what life at his court was really like? Because if so – wow. Talk about living like a rock star.


The costumes alone are fantastic....

True Blood: Well, we are three episodes in at this point and so far I'm actually not hating thise season! Last season was so absolutely nuts that I really worried how the show would recover but thus far, it hasn't been so bad. They seem to be tying up the crazy loose ends and veering back onto a path that is less nuts. Granted, its a show about vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters and fairies...so nuts is kind of a part of the charm. Developments that I like: that the fairies seem to be phasing out, (just too weird for me) anything involving Jessica is always pretty fun to watch and of course, Eric. Eric is always great. Developments I don't like: Alcide become semi-villanous, the crazy girl harassing Sam about being a shifter and Bill acting so high and mighty; seriously Bill, get over yourself.

Movies I've Watched:
Man of Steel: Which was AMAZING! I think I’ve mentioned that about a hundred times since I saw it. Which, I’ve seen it twice. I know – I might have a problem. If so, I am completely okay with it. When they initially cast Henry Cavill I was still in the midst of watching Smallville, which I’d been hooked on for its 10 year run and I could not understand how anyone but Tom Welling could be Superman – but I get it now. Cavill owns this role and Amy Adams is amazing as Lois Lane. The action is off the wall crazy, but appropriately so. I can’t wait to see where the sequel goes; because the sequel has already been green lit! Yes!

Be still my heart - love this movie.

This is the End: Oh – I don’t even know where to go with this one. The previews looked funny; in that way that stupid is funny. And I got exactly what I bargained for; stupid funny. It was funny but there were parts of it that were so insanely crazy or stupid that I just had to laugh because really, what other option was there? The ending was easily the best part – not only because it meant the movie was over but because there was a “heavenly” dance break from the Backstreet Boys. My lesson from this one: when your best friend tells you to turn your brain off before the movie starts, you probably don’t really want to be watching it. Lesson learned.

Music I've Listened to:
Where We Left Off by Hunter Hayes: Again, loving some Hunter Hayes music and this is a song from the soundtrack to Act of Valor. I’ve never seen the movie but the song is really beautiful and is about having a relationship that can endure time apart and then pick right back up, without missing a beat. The songs I’m listening to right now all have a theme…I’ll let you figure it out.

Gone Gone Gone by Phillip Phillips: Well, the title alone might give away the theme of all the songs I’ve listened to. My best friend text me the title of this song and informed me that it was “our” song for when I did move to Virginia. So of course, I proceeded to listen to it and cry like a complete sap. It is a really good song though – so maybe even if you aren’t(potentially) headed in a new direction, check it out. Everyone needs good music.

Yummy in My Tummy:
Cinnamon Roll Coffee - bought this while my family was in town a few weeks ago and it was one of the best purchases to date. It is absolutely delicous and the smell is also pretty good.


Mean Green Smoothie - my Spinach super smoothie that is continuing to blow my mind; mostly because I'm actually drinking it and enjoying it. It's been my breakfast for the past two days and seeing how people in the office reacted to me sucking up what essentially looks like toxic sludge (sorry, but its true) has been pretty funny. I think they all think I've lost it. To that I say, who says I ever had it?

Banana Bread/Cherry Bread - I think I must have baked 3 times in the month of June; not sure if I'll keep it up in July since I'm really trying to knuckle down with the fitness and eating healthier and I'm just not sure if bread is the wisest of choices - even when it is made with bananas and cherries.

Happiness is:Spending time with my friend(s) - I have big plans to meet up with a couple friends from college that I haven't seen in a while in this month of July and I can't wait. One of them I haven't seen for months, the other I haven't seen in over a year. Friends are one of life's best blessings and I can't wait to spend time with my friends and catch up.

Anticipation - and that's all I'll say for now.


What I'm Looking Forward to in July:
Jetting off to Virginia for a short little summer vacation - it may only be for about 3 and a half days but my parents already have oodles of things planned: visiting the Farmer's Market on Thursday morning, grilling for the 4th and watching fireworks, a Washington Nationals game on Friday night and exploring Antietam Battlefield on Saturday with yet another fireworks show on Saturday night. Oh - and proof I'm totally turning into a nerd; I found a 5 page scavenger hunt for Antietam and I'm suddenly all over it. I may not have been interested when I was younger Dad, but congratulations, you've successfully created a history nerd.


Burnside Bridge at Antietam Battlefield - I'm coming to see you!

As mentioned above - spending time with my friends. I'm sure I'll do more than just get together with those 2 friends I've not seen in a while but if that's all I do, that will be fine too. Getting together with friends is always worth looking forward to!

Getting a pedicure - I have a gift certificate from Christmas that I was given as my office present. The coupon expires at the end of July, so I guess I'd better get on going to get that pedi done. I'm thinking it will be the first thing on the list for the weekend of the 13th!

1 comment:

  1. Delightful July you have there! And yes - get that pedi done! See you soon!

    ReplyDelete