Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Virginia Adventures: Part One

OK - so I'll just start this after the horror that was my getting to Virginia, especially since I dedicated an entire post to that. No need to rehash it; especially since there is a second post coming about the horror of getting home. Yeesh!

I was so completely happy to finally see my Momma, to see the car, to see all the landmarks that are becoming more and more familiar with each visit; landmarks that let me know that I'm getting closer and closer to "home". And oh the joy of seeing home, especially at almost 2 in the morning. Its a pretty wonderful feeling. You know another wonderful feeling? Climbing up the steps and having my Dad stumble half asleep from his bedroom to say "Hey Natalie" and give me a huge hug. Ah - the love of family!

Home Sweet Home...at 2 AM

My room! I love my room at my parent's house. Love it.

Wildly excited that I finally, finally made it. And was in my blue and green bed.

Nothing starts a day more perfectly than waking up to a view like this one - I think people that live around mountains might take not realize how amazing a view they really are. I get it though; I love the mountains. When I finally make my way to somewhere mountainous to live, I won't take it for granted. Ever. I love it.

I woke up at 7:45, which is super early considering that I'd only gone to bed at 2...but I was just itching to get outside and stare off into the distance. My Dad was at work and my Momma was still asleep, so I crept downstairs, made coffee and immediately headed for the back deck, where I proceeded to spend a good part of the day. That's where Mom found me when she got up. Drinking coffee and staring off at the mountains, drinking in the view, the quiet, the calm...and contemplating hollering "fore" at the passing golfers. Just kidding. Maybe.

Ah yes - this is a view I could never get tired of.

Easily the best way to enjoy coffee.

I had to go inside to watch the birds at the feeder...they didn't take too kindly to me watching from as close as the porch.

My favorite little bird.

After Mom and I had breakfast we set out for Marker Miller Orchard & Farmer's Market (I think I have the name right...) to see about getting some fruit. I never knew that so much stuff was grown in Virginia, but there were fields of wheat, corn, apple orchards, vineyards...everywhere, something was growing. It was so cool. The Farmer's Market was awesome and they had anything and everything you could think of: blueberries, strawberries, raspberries (ripe and ready to be picked) blackberries as big as my pinkie, apples, corn, watermelon, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes bigger than my fist, squash, zucchini, cucumbers and the list goes on and on. They also had jams, jellies, spreads, salsas and a slush made from fresh picked strawberries. And don't even get me started on the gorgeous flowers outside. It was awesome.

Rows on top of rows of apple trees...

I loved it - so cool!

Want some fruit?

This was delicious!

I thought this looked cool as we passed. No clue what it is...

It was July 4th after all...

Definitive proof that grocery stores in VA are better than MS - and this isn't even Wegmans!!!

Yum.

Absolutely huge blackberries from Marker Miller...

Seriously - they were massive.

A whoopie pie from Marker Miller - I shared it with Mom & Dad because it was huge. Also, it was delicious.

A quick little afternoon rain shower...that I almost got caught in...

Once Mom and I got home from the Farmer's Market and Martin's (the grocery store) I proceeded to sit on the back deck again, listening to Lindsey be the DJ on USAFA's radio station KAFA. Mom and I sat outside, ate fresh fruit and cheese and just chilled. It was great! When Dad came home, we fired up the grill and fixed our Fourth of July feast!

Love it. Just love it.

Trying to get some sun on my pale legs...

The master of the grill...hard at work.

Orange Soda...which I just now realized I never got to taste. Boo.

The Fourth of July feast...prepared by Dad, Mom and me!

Using our festive cups to drink some sweet tea!

Once supper was done, we stopped in at Wal Mart to grab a couple things - we being me, because I left my liquids sitting in the front seat of my car, like a goofball. We saw Jennie and Jimmy in Wal Mart and talked to them a little while; I loved seeing Jimmy's little sun-burned cheeks, they might have made him even cuter! We got the few things we needed and then headed into Strasburg to get a spot for the fireworks. We all read a little bit while we passed the time and then at 9:30, the sky lit up with color for almost thirty minutes. Awesome! When that was all said and done, we made our way to the car, made our way home and I went to bed pretty quickly because I knew Friday held even more awesome.

Reading to pass the time...what a laugh! :)

Sun sets over the mountain - Signal Knob to be exact.

Fireworks! Fireworks!

Go USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment