Friday, July 12, 2013

Virginia Adventures: Part Four...Yep, You Read That Right

That's right....somehow was was supposed to be just three days turned into four. I have a whole post dedicated to the debacle of getting home, so I'll just touch on day four in this post and leave the post about traveling troubles for another day - at least, some of the troubles.

Sunday morning I had the breakfast of champions yet again, a strawberry lemonade cupcake on the porch. I went to church with my family and was pretty amazed by the people at my parent's church. I've only met a few of them once before; some of them I've never met and yet so many people hugged me, told me they were glad to see me or meet me and they also told me they were all praying and looking forward to when I could make the move to Virginia! Talk about feeling the love. They also told me they'd be praying for me to have safe, expedient travels home. I guess the Lord answered those prayers with a no, but again - another story for another time.

Yum...nothing like a sugar rush to get you going.

Lunch at Red Robin - I had the Berserker Burger and Cherry Limeade.

Once church was over, we went home to pack things up and grabbed some lunch at Red Robin (yum!) before we got to the airport. We visited and chatted until it was time to go through security and then we said our good-byes.

Admiring my sunburn in the airport...I was bored waiting to board the plane.

The trouble began not long after I boarded my first flight. I'd gotten all settled into my seat and was ready to fly the friendly skies when they made an announcement that the flight had been delayed because of weather in Montevallo, Virginia. Apparently the only flight path we could take took us directly into that weather and so we'd all have to disembark the plane and wait until we got an update at six. Well, since I'd already had dramatic travels just getting to Virginia, I crawled off the plane, plugged in my phone and may or may not have called my parents crying. I had a cushion this time though - I had a two hour layover in Atlanta, so I just began playing the waiting game.

So sick of delays...and while we waited for the weather to move out of Montevallo; it came to us. Nice.

Really tired of seeing these dumb notifications on my phone...boarding? Yeah right. WRONG!

Well, six rolled around and we were told no update until six-thirty. Six-thirty came and we were told that we'd probably be delayed until at least eight or later leaving. That meant I'd miss my connecting flight from Atlanta to Jackson, so I had no choice but to join the long line of people waiting to change tickets. I was going to try to get onto a flight leaving Atlanta at eleven-fifteen in hopes that I could at least get home, even if it was late. After talking with a desk agent who left me very concerned that I'd end up stranded in Atlanta overnight - in the Atlanta airport no less, since Delta won't provide a hotel in the event of weather delays - I decided to re-book my flight for the next day. The desk agent punched some buttons, printed out a boarding pass for Monday and sent me on my way. I called my parents to come pick me up and about forty-five minutes later, I was headed back for Front Royal with my family.

Lines, lines, lines...I was tired of lines.

It was only 7:20 but I was the only person on the train...weird.

I have to say, I was really surprised by how deserted the airport seemed even though it was only seven twenty at night. I guess I was going in the wrong direction? I don't know but it seemed like at times on the way back to the main terminal, I had the whole airport to myself. Very strange.

Goofing around on the lit floor tiles...I had time to kill waiting for my parents.

Hey security checkpoint....I was just at you mere hours ago...

The parents and I had some supper at Cracker Barrel and then headed home to what should have been a calm evening. It wasn't...but again, that's for another post. So I'll leave you with the picture of my happy home in Virginia.

Home Sweet Home....again.

No comments:

Post a Comment