Tuesday, February 19, 2019

The Long Weekend is Over

It's another Tuesday post... after a long weekend has ended! The weekend was so nice, even if it was a little chilly but I'd like to imagine that Spring is right around the corner! I say that while we are under a Winter Storm Warning that's supposed to dump 8-12 inches of snow and ice tomorrow. *sigh* I guess a groundhog isn't always the best predictor of weather?

Venice - framed in time!
Friday got off to an early start - which was fabulous for me because it seemed like the cold I'd been dealing with all week was fighting back hard on Friday! I popped into Hobby Lobby on my lunch break to pick up a painting from Venice that I had framed - it turned out gorgeous and I already have it hanging in pride of place in my bedroom! I also received my gorgeous personalized planner from Papier and a t-shirt I've been eyeing for a little while - Happy Valentine's Day to me, I suppose!

Friday evening was pretty low-key - which was fine by me. We had dinner at Front Royal Brewing Company and the food was quite tasty; I also had an Orange Crush cocktail that opened up my sinuses, ha-ha! I just watched movies and doodled in my new planner and went to bed fairly early since I hadn't felt my best for most of the day on Friday!



Saturday was gorgeously sunny but pretty brisk! After coffee and breakfast, we headed over to one of our favorite spots here in Northern Virginia - the little town of Middleburg! The town has some of the best little shops and restaurants and we popped into a new one called the Side Saddle Club to have lunch...and the food was divine! I had a grilled cheese made with cheddar, spicy pepper jack and Gouda on a homemade bread - thinking about it makes my mouth water!



The Side Saddle Club was located in the basement of one of the old buildings that line the main street of Middleburg and the timbers that criss-crossed the roof of the restaurant had been painted white and were emblazoned with the names, ranks and message of hundreds of military members. We spotted an open portion of the rafter right above our table and decided we'd leave a little about ourselves as well, so I wrote my Dad and sister's names on the rafter and my Dad finished it off with some airplanes flying in formation! So fun! We promised my sister the next time she visits we'll go eat at Side Saddle Club and she can find her name!

If you're ever in Middleburg, VA - check this place out!
Popcorn Monkey! 
We perused some of our favorite shops and I picked up some goodies for Watson at Wylie Wagg - one of the best little shops with all things pet related! We also popped into Popcorn Monkey (no pun intended) before heading home - they have some of the best flavors and varieties of popcorn, all made in house and all divine! And I am not even a big fan of popcorn...but if it's from Popcorn Monkey - I'll take it!

I relaxed at the house for a short while on Saturday afternoon and then met up with my friend Danielle at the Alamo Drafthouse to see Isn't It Romantic - which was hilarious! We started our evening at the bar and sipped drinks before heading into the theater to have dinner with our movie...and we cracked up! The movie manages to make fun of and use the tropes of romantic comedies while still being endearing, heart-warming and delightful all at the same time! It was such a good movie!
It's true though...
Sunday morning after church we popped into Mission BBQ for lunch and then perused Kirkland's, where I just had to get a small letter board for my entry way - it's too cute! It's maybe a little smaller than I thought it would be (given the packaging style) but it's still a delight and was only $9! My blue light filter glasses for use while on the computer also arrived... I've been trying to use them today but it's been a little bit hit or miss. Maybe it will take time to acclimate to them?

Nerd Level - Expert
I passed Sunday afternoon with a small nap... for some reason I just couldn't get myself together but it could have been the gathering clouds outside making everything dark and dreary. Who knows? I ended up doing some cleaning and organizing in my little home, catching up on Victoria, taking walks with my pup and then finally giving him a much needed bath - he now smells like his Argan oil shampoo and it's delightful! We had a delicious pot of chili for dinner and after a lovely bubble bath, I watched Victoria and then read before crashing... which was made doubly nice since I didn't have to set an alarm!


I slept until 8:00 on Monday and it was absolutely the best! There is just something so nice about those days off and getting to have the luxury of doing whatever you please... right? After having coffee and getting in some exercise, I joined my parents for lunch at Panera Bread and to do a little shopping - furniture shopping, to be specific!


We perused one of our favorite spots for furniture and I stumbled upon this amazing hanging chair that I immediately climbed into and fell in love with! It matches my bedroom...honestly it matches all aspects of my little home perfectly and I was shocked when my parents came over with the salesman and added it to their ticket! So my new and absolutely fabulous chair will be delivered on Thursday afternoon and I said I'd never leave it once it was in place, ha-ha!


After a quick grocery run, my Mom and I started a new season of The Great British Baking Show (our new favorite) and I moved some furniture around to prepare for the arrival of my new chair! I whipped up some Shepherd's Pies for our dinner and they turned out quite well - I'll share my recipe a little later in the week - it was yummy and pretty easy! I spent the rest of my evening getting ready for the week ahead (a short week - yahoo!) and then watching the new episode of Home Town!


It was a lovely and mostly low-key long weekend and I'm already likely looking at another day off tomorrow because of the impending arrival of yet another winter storm to the area! So, I suppose we shall see what tomorrow brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment