Thursday, February 28, 2019

February Fancies

Image result for February

Books I Read

Make Something Good Today by Ben & Erin Napier - I have literally been reading this since sometime in November and I'd read a chapter, put it down and get caught up in other things...and that's how I ended up finally finishing it this past month! The book was warm, uplifting and encouraging - just like watching an episode of Home Town!

The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society by Annie Barrows - I so enjoyed the movie that Netflix made based on this book and so I just had to read the book! It had some differences from the movie; a bit more plot here and there that the movie simplified and it was probably just a hair better than the movie... then again, the book is usually better than the movie!

Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens - One of four books I purchased mid-month...and when I posted a picture of the books on Instagram, this one garnered a comment and so I started with it. The story follows "Marsh Girl" Kya as she is abandoned by her family, ostracized by the townspeople and raises herself in the marshes of North Carolina in the late 50's.. the story also has a murder mystery tied in and once I got started reading it, I couldn't put it down.


Books on the Shelf

Circe by Madeline Miller

The Storyteller's Secret: A Novel by Sejal Badani

The Tattooist of Auschwitz: A Novel by Heather Morris

Those are the books on the shelf and I haven't made a decision yet about which one to read just yet. I'll be spending some extended time in a car in the next week, so I'll have to figure out which one I want to read here soon... but I haven't just yet. Recommendations?

Must See TV

I don't have anything new to report on this front this month - I've been watching Home Town and This Is Us on the regular, but otherwise there hasn't been much that I've been turning into with any dedication. I have recorded the limited series show I Am the Night but I haven't gotten around to watching it quite yet... I think I'm just living for Game of Thrones final season, which is finally arriving in April!

Movies of the Month

Isn't It Romantic - The only movie I saw this month but it was a delight! The movie follows Natalie (I like that name...); an architect that finds all things love-related to be silly and overly dramatic because of the unrealistic expectations that the romantic comedies she grew up watching have set for her. When she sustains a head injury and finds herself in her very own romantic comedy, hearts flutter and hilarity ensures. This movie was so fun and enjoyable, made me laugh a lot more than I expected and was just downright delightful!


Related image

Streaming Selections

Schitt's Creek - I finally had to check this out after multiple blogs that I follow recommended this show and now I can see why, it's hilarious! The episodes are just a short 21-22 minutes long and follow the Rose family and their riches to rags story... which lands them living in a town called Schitt's Creek. The show is packed with heart, witty banter and comedic gold; is perfect for binge-watching and absolutely cracks me up! The first four seasons (13 episodes each) are on Netflix and I'm guessing the fifth season will end up there sooner or later - the show currently airs on Pop, a Canadian network.


The show in it's entirety is hilarious but this clip is one of my favorite moments so far... 

Tunes & Talks

I've still been listening to all things Queen on a near constant rotation but when I'm not listening to Queen, I've also listened to the soundtrack from A Star is Born some here and there... and I recently found The History Chicks podcast, which I love. The two female hosts talk about the lives of famous women throughout history; the show is funny, entertaining and informative.

Tasty Treats

The ultimate snacks this month were all the divine chocolate treats from the Chocolate Escape that my Mom and I went to early in the month - the delicious truffles, chocolate mousse cake, salted caramel hot chocolate and s'mores campfire bread - it was all so good!



My Mom made some delicious lemon and strawberry tarts for Valentine's Day and we grabbed some of our favorite popcorn from Popcorn Monkey in Middleburg; Salted Caramel and Chocolate! I tried my hand at Shepherd's Pie and it turned out quite well and rounded out the end of the month with Restaurant Week having chicken, bacon and spinach ravioli, chicken and waffles and white chocolate key lime pie! It was a delicious month!

Anticipations 

Vacation to TN & MS - I am kicking off the month of March with a little vacation to Gatlinburg, Tennessee and then further south to my former home of Mississippi. My younger cousin Alex is getting married and so we decided to just make a week of it and visit our old hometown, with a short stop on the way in one of our favorite spots, Gatlinburg! I'm going to catch up with some friends and my Mom, my "little sister" McKenna and I are going to check out Laurel - the setting for Home Town!
Image result for gatlinburg tennessee Related image

Spring - I am so ready for all things Spring y'all... I am just about done with the cold! I know that once September arrives I'll be wishing for a chilly breeze but right now, I just want some warmer days to arrive and bring with them some color and sunshine and more time outdoors.! The first cherry blossom predictions for this year will be announced on March 6th and I'd love to get the chance to make it back into DC to see them again this year!


Image result for spring

Opening Day of Baseball - The opening day of baseball is the earliest it's ever been this year; March 28th and I plan to be right in the thick of things! The first games of Spring Training were played this past week and I cannot wait for Spring, Summer and early Autumn afternoons and evening spent at the ballpark. *sigh*


Image result for washington nationals opening day 2019

**************************************************************

And that's all I've got for February - it's been a whirlwind of a month it seems, but I can't say I'm sorry to see it go. While I've been doing my best to savor each day as it comes - I can't say I'll miss January or February - but then I don't normally miss them, ha-ha! Onward to Spring I go, with open arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment