Thursday, February 21, 2019

Shepherd's Pie

I feel like I should start this post with a disclaimer that traditionally Shepherd's Pie is made with lamb - if another type of meat is used, it's actually called Cottage Pie. So technically this is Cottage Pie but I'm going to keep right on calling it Shepherd's Pie and all will be well!

I've thought about making Shepherd's Pie for a while now - ever since eating a delicious version of Shepherd's Pie at our favorite Irish pub called Nana's! Seriously, it's delicious and I've been thinking long and hard about making my very own. Monday being a holiday, it seemed like the perfect time.


What You Need

For the Filling
  • 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 small container mirepoux
  • 1 1/2 lbs ground beef
  • 4 cloves garlic; minced
  • 2 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups beef broth
  • 1 can peas & carrots; drained
  • 1 can corn; drained
  • 1 can diced potatoes; drained
  • 1 tsp. oregano
  • 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup water
For the Mashed Potato Topping
  • 1 package Idahoan mashed potato mix
*that's right - I took the shortcut route for my mashed potatoes. No shame in my game, ha-ha!*


What To Do
  • Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, mirepoux, garlic, salt, pepper and garlic about 5 minutes, until the beef has browned.
  • Add the beef broth, peas & carrots, corn, diced potatoes and oregano and cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Mix together flour and water until well blended and pour over filling. Stir together and reduce heat to low.
  • Preheat over to 350 and prepare your mashed potatoes according to package directions. 
  • Fill baking container with filling and top with mashed potatoes, smoothing into an even layer on top.
  • Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. If you want a browned top on your mashed potatoes, put the oven to broil for the final 5 minutes of cooking. 
  • Serve immediately. 

I really enjoyed my delicious little Shepherd's Pies - they were pretty easy to make and perfectly tasty for a chilly Winter night! Give them a whirl, I don't think you'll be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment