Thursday, January 7, 2021

The Word of the Year

 

I confess I went back and forth on what my word this year should be... I thought perhaps it was "faith" but then I jokingly did a screenshot on Instagram to discover a word for the year and I got progression. I prayed on that and wasn't 100% sure if that was the word for 2021 just yet... but then... I was reading my devotional on Wednesday the 6th and lo and behold, the following paragraph was part of the devotional reading:

A "try harder to get better mindset" has little to do with real transformation. We don't need a new set of tips-and-techniques that promises to lead up to a deeper life with Jesus. But we can learn to nudge our life in way that intentionally draw us more deeply into relationship with Jesus - the simple focus of our habits shifts from working harder to be a "better Christian" or becoming a "good person", to knowing Jesus more intimately. And by knowing him much better - that's what this "progression" reveals: Get to know Jesus well, because the more you know him, the more you'll love him, and the more you love him, the more you'll want to follow him, and the more you follow him, the more you'll become like him, and the more become like him, the more you become yourself.


Progression is "the act of changing to the next step of development" and I think - as human being but also as a follower of Christ, we should always be striving to move toward that next step of development in our relationship with the Lord. 

I also feel like the country as a whole is on the verge of some sort of change; although right now I can't say if it will be a progression or a regression. I suppose only time will tell. I'll be praying in this coming year for progression on a number of levels: first and foremost in my relationship with the Lord, but also for progression in relationships with people around me - those that believe like me and those that do not - prayers for progression for our country... and so much more.

Are you one to choose a word for the year? If so - what's your word this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment