Friday, January 1, 2021

Five on Friday

It's the first day of the New Year... the first day of January... and the first Five on Friday of 2021! 


One. Happy New Year - Well. I survived the year that was 2020 and now the New Year has come. I confess where all that is concerned, I don't have too much to say except that I dearly hope this year that life begins to return to something resembling "normal" and there aren't as many hardships for the world at large. 


I didn't stay up until midnight last night - I decided to go to sleep and let the New Year just arrive without fanfare. I figure maybe if I didn't greet it with too much expectation, perhaps... well I don't know. Someone joked that the bar for this New Year was set pretty low - so I suppose there's nowhere left to go but up! 

Two. The Top Nine - Does anyone else do the Top Nine each year to see what pictures were most liked on their social media? I always find it fun and this year was no exception! Watson made the cut (of course) and two comparison pictures from my weight lost (50 pounds lost this year). A 36th birthday toast and a snap with Watson in the golden gingko leaves was also popular!


A coffee toast (is that a thing) and my Alexander Hamilton costume at Halloween were also popular and the snaps were rounded out with an Easter picture and yet another picture of Watson and I. 

Three. Cracked Out Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole - I absolutely love the Plain Chicken website and every recipe I've ever made from her website has turned out spectacular! I polled my family and asked if they'd prefer a sweet or savory breakfast casserole for Christmas Day and they chose savory... with my little sister narrowing the field by choosing one with tater tots! This was so divine and I'll definitely make it again!


What You Need
  • 2 lb. bacon
  • 1 (30-32 ounce) bag of frozen tater tots
  • 1 (1 ounce) package Ranch dressing mix
  • 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 cups milk
What To Do
  • Preheat the oven to 350 & spray a 9x13 baking dish.
  • In a skillet, cook the bacon & break into pieces. Or if you're like me, use real bacon pieces & you don't have to cook anything.
  • Toss together tater tots, bacon pieces and Cheddar cheese. Spread into 9x13 baking dish.
  • Whisk together Ranch dressing mix, eggs & milk; pour over tater tot mixture in baking dish.
  • *Cover & refrigerate if planning to bake later*
  • Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the eggs are set. I believe my casserole went right at 50 minutes & was perfect! 
Four. Encouragement for the New Year - I mentioned in an earlier post that I struggled a little bit with anxiety as the year closed out and I stumbled onto this prayer last week that has really been a help to me.


Perhaps if you have any struggle, worries or fears in the coming days, weeks and months - this prayer will be a comfort to you, as it's been to me.

Five. Tidying Up - I don't have much else on this first Friday and first day of 2021. I spent the day putting away all my Christmas decorations, re-ordering and organizing my living room and bedroom and unpacking a few Christmas gifts that still needed to be put away/put in place. It was a very chill start to the New Year - and that was nice.

The rest of the weekend looks similarly calm - I'm attending a wedding tomorrow that will be COVID safe but beyond that, I'll be sticking close to home.

*******************************************************

A New Year has begun - let's all hope and pray that 2021 is a little kinder than 2020 and try to find the joy in each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment