Thursday, January 14, 2016

The New Year's Resolution....of Sorts...


New Year's Resolutions are something that I just don't really get down with. I feel like they are the kind of thing that 95% of the population take part in...and 80% of the population fall off that wagon before January 15th. Seriously - I know I do.

I've seen people who; as opposed to making sweeping proclamations about what they will do in the new year, instead choose to focus on a word for the year. Now, choosing this word usually involves a lot of thought and for some people, prayer is included too. I did a little of both and then one day, bopping around from site to site on the internet, I came upon a fellow blogger who had used the word "reduce" as their word for 2015....and a little voice inside gave me a nudge, letting me know that reduce should be MY word for 2016.

Now - reduce certainly isn't necessarily a pretty word - it doesn't capture your imagination the way some words might. It's not fancy or flowery...but it's the word for me for this year, so I'm going to try to reduce in multiple aspects of my life.

Areas I Plan to "Reduce"

Stress: I'm sure you're wondering how a single thirty-one year old can have that much stress, right? Well, let me first and foremost be honest with  you and say that I cause a lot of the stress in my life by worrying about anything and everything. I am a worrywart with a list a mile long - and the easiest - and best way to reduce some of the stress I have in my life? Let it go. Give all those worries and concerns and things that my worrying won't change a bit to the Lord....because He's already got it anyway. There is no point in me worrying so much when I have a Heavenly Father who is with me on every step of this journey.

So I'm going to try to reduce stress by letting go of the things I worry about and trying to let the peace of the Lord in. It's the 14th of January and let me tell you; the last couple days have been rough, so I'll let you know how this one goes.


Things: I have way too much stuff! And at the end of the day, I don't actually need half of it. I'm in the market to find a place of my own and given that the cost of living in Virginia is a bit more than it was back in Mississippi, I'll probably be down-sizing not just my living space, but my things. And I think that's a good idea. All these things; clothes I'm holding on to for sentimental value, pictures and decorative doodads (hey - apparently that's a word) and just miscellaneous junk that I don't need, I'm going to try to reduce all the things I have.


Spending: This goes hand in hand with reducing the things I have. If I'm going to reduce the things I have, I have to quit spending money on things. I also need to quite spending money in general. I have a tendency to buy things I don't really need...I won't go so far as to say I have a shopping addiction, but I like to buy the things. So...less spending and more saving. Definitely a good idea for me in 2016 and the years to come.


Weight: Yes, you read that right. I will continue to work toward fitness goals in 2016 and I will work to "reduce" myself..in the poundage aspect...not in any other way. I've started my fitness regime all over again this week and I plan to work to stay committed to doing some kind of activity at least five days a week. I would also like to reduce the sugary, carby, generally unhealthy things that I eat on a day to day basis - being healthy for years to come is important. There is so much more to be done in life and I want to be able to feel good about myself and feel good about my health. Reducing in area of both weight and diet are important pieces of that puzzle.



So - that's where I'm at as we are now fourteen days into the new year. I'm going to try and embrace my word for this year and moving forward, work to reduce in many areas of my life...so that I can live my life more abundantly! How's that for a bit of irony? Reducing to be more abundant - sounds good to me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment