Thursday, January 21, 2016

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

It's soup season - I'm sure we are all feeling the cold in one way or another. My neck of the woods may be feeling the cold in an extreme way this weekend; current forecasts are predicting a very good chance of up to 2 feet of snow, starting on Friday!

Last year 8 inches of snow was the most I'd seen in my lifetime; due to the whole being born in California and raised in Mississippi, snow was not something I'd spent a lot of time in. Almost two years in Virginia has changed that pretty dramatically and I'm not a fan of driving in the snow...so hopefully I'll be able to curl up with a bowl of soup and just watch the snow. Hopefully.

There isn't much to it - I promise!
A few months ago at my birthday tea, we were served Roasted Red Pepper Bisque and it was absolutely to die for. I've been on a recipe hunt ever since and found this one online... It wasn't quite like the soup we had at tea, but it was still delicious all the same. There are very few ingredients and it's very easy to make.

I might eventually post a different recipe - I'm still on the ever elusive hunt for a soup that tastes just like the one we had at tea. Granted; that might be hard to replicate since I'm convinced everything at Coach and Horses Tea Room is absolutely divine and probably impossible to make on  your own - not because it's too hard, but because I'm sure they use secret family recipes. Ha-ha!

Red peppers, onions & garlic smell absolutely amazing cooking!
Before the puree...and after the puree... Such a pretty color!
What You Need

- 3 tbsp. butter
- 4 red bell peppers; chopped
- 1 onion; chopped
- 4 cloves garlic; minced (or 2 tbsp. minced garlic)
- 24 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper

-shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
- croutons

An absolutely delicious bowl of soup!
What To Do

- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add in the red bell pepper, onion and garlic and saute for 5-10 minutes or until tender. This will smell AH-mazing!

- Pour in the chicken broth, stir well and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes.

- Transfer soup to a blender and puree until smooth.

- Return the soup to your saucepan at medium/low heat. Stir in the heavy cream and black pepper, mixing well. Allow the soup to heat through for about 10 minutes.

- Serve as is or garnish with croutons, shredded mozzarella or Parmesan cheese and enjoy!

Watson...trying to convince me he loves veggies & wants a taste. Ha!
See what I mean - easy! A completely easy recipe with good ingredients and a delicious, creamy finish. Perhaps it's not too cold where you live...and perhaps you're reading this and expecting just as much (or more) snow than I am. Either way, you should whip up a batch of this soup and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment