Sunday, October 13, 2013

Petite Apple Pies!

Nothing says Autumn like crisp, delicious apples! I must confess though - I'm not a huge apple person. I think they're pretty for decoration and they smell heavenly. I also love them in pies, cakes and especially in butter form - apple butter is the best - but I don't really eat apples on their own. If you've read earlier blogs from last week, you'll know that we picked apples at a real life orchard - and it was fun! Sadly, my parents can't eat a whole peck of apples on their own and so they shipped me three.

I wasn't entirely sure what I was going to do with them but I remembered seeing all these post for mini desserts and since I had a muffin tin and three apples, I decided all I needed was some pie crust and I'd be all set. Apples on their own is one thing but apple pie - that is all kinds of delicious. Cooking adventure number one of the weekend was a go!

The apples looked pretty on the table...but they look just as pretty in a pie. And they taste pretty too!

They aren't very many ingredients - apples, spices, vanilla & pie crust!

The aftermath of an apple murder...some skin & flesh, ha-ha!

Adding some vanilla to the apples - delicious!

I was tempted to just warm this up & eat it...but I refrained.

Cutting some little pie shells...

I tried to be as creative as I could with the dough that I had...I think it turned out pretty well.

Ready to go into the oven....

Petite Apple Pies

-3 apples, cored, peeled and cut into small pieces
-1 tbsp. brown sugar
-1 tbsp. white sugar
-1 tsp. Pumpkin pie spice (seriously, it's what I had on hand and it worked - really well)
-1 tsp. cinnamon
-1 tbsp. vanilla
-2 Pillsbury pie crusts

Wash, core, peel and cut your apples into small pieces.

Mix together the brown sugar, white sugar, Pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon and sprinkle over the apples, mixing well. Pour 1 tbsp. of vanilla on apple and spice mix and stir together well. Set aside.

Cut out each pie shell and place in a greased muffin tin - I had two shells and I used almost all of them making the shells and topping. Fill each pie crust with apples; as many as you'd like. I was able to make nine small pies.

Top with remaining pie crust - you can get as creative or simple as you want. I made some lattice strips as well as cutting small designs in pie shell pieces. Either way works...you could even leave them open faced. It's whatever floats your boat!

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. Enjoy!

The finished product - the house smelled delicious and Autumn-like!


The pies with larger toppings - still cute, right?
 Now that I've made these and they turned out well, I can't wait to try all kinds of fruit pies. Strawberry, blueberry...maybe peach, cherry...any combination of fruits. Who knows what I'll come up with?


No comments:

Post a Comment