Monday, August 15, 2022

Rock & Roll All Night

It’s a rainy Monday here in Northern Virginia and we are officially at the halfway point of August (sort of – there are 31 days). It was a wonderful weekend – as always it passed way too quickly. Some days I get the feeling that life as a whole will just continue to pass much too quickly and I’ll have to hang on and catch the moments as I can!

Friday was such an experience y’all! After an early day off from work (for both Ryan and I) – we headed to Haymarket and grabbed burgers at Foster’s Grille. I miss having a Foster’s right down the road from my parent’s house but it’s probably a good thing, ha-ha! They have such tasty burgers and the best fries! After fueling up, we made our way to Jiffy Lube Live for a concert! It’s been a good long while since I’ve been to a live concert at Jiffy Lube (Covid and all that nonsense) but Friday night we went to see REO Speedwagon, Styx and Loverboy! 

 

The tickets were originally for my Dad’s birthday in April of 2020 – but y’all know that concerts were definitely not happening in April of 2020! I grew up listening to this music because my Dad listened to it when he was a teenager, ha-ha! His first assessment of the band(s) was to say this: they look old! Well – they have been around since the 70’s, so that would make sense, wouldn’t it? All the performers were great, but I think Styx did the best concert and certainly seemed most “into it”. While I didn’t know all the songs, I knew at least one (or more) of each group’s songs and sang along to them as they were performed!

 

I discovered that one of my friends from Bible study was across the aisle from us and we caught up in between bands! We also tried Liquid Death Alpine Water – but y’all, it just tasted like canned water. The concert was great, but I know Ryan and I were happy to get home to our beds since we usually get up around 5 AM during the week! I guess we aren’t as cool as we once were, ha-ha! It was an awesome way to kick off the weekend and we had so much fun!


Saturday morning was a very relaxed morning – granted, my day began when my calf cramped and so that wasn’t the most relaxing start to the day. *sigh* I was able to just chill, chat with my parents and have coffee. Ryan had a haircut and then spent some time working on his car and I didn’t actually have to get ready for the day until shortly before noon! My Mom and I headed to Starbucks in Stephens City around 1:00 to meet up with a dear friend who has returned from working overseas! We spent a little over an hour (and could have spent more time) catching up with Margaret and enjoyed our coffee sitting outside because of the amazing weather!

We made our way to Tyson’s Corner on Saturday afternoon to begin the search for something to wear for the rehearsal dinner – I was hoping that Nordstrom, Bloomingdale’s or Macy’s might have something that would be just perfect for the day before the big day – but alas, our search didn’t yield much except ideas about what I did want and what I didn’t want! We had a delicious dinner at Seasons 52 – I’ve never eaten at Seasons before, but the food was delicious! I had Chicken Tortilla Soup and a Summer Corn Flatbread that was to die for! I’m drooling just thinking about it. We stopped by Duluth Trading on the way home and watched some Planet Earth before it was time to call it a night!

Sunday morning was bright and pleasant – the weather this weekend is leaning more toward Autumnal temperatures and so Ryan and I had our coffee on my parent’s deck before heading to church! The service was really powerful, and the worship was moving; it was an excellent service! After a quick lunch at Chipotle, we ended up making the move to get new cell phones (hello iPhone 13 mini!) and grabbed a few items at Aldi before heading to my parents for the main event of Sunday afternoon….

Wedding Invitations! They have been stuffed and sealed and stamped and sent on their way! We spent about an hour and a half filling the envelopes with the beautiful invitations and sticking “love” stamps on each one before sliding them into the box for my Mom to take them to the post office! There are only 89 days to go and now the invitations are on their way and soon we will start getting the RSVP(s)! Please excuse me while I go squeal in the corner, ha-ha!




We closed out the evening with reviewing my parents camping supplies – we are going camping this weekend and if you read this, you can say a prayer for me, ha-ha! We looked through air mattresses and lanterns and coffee pots for making coffee over an open fire… and Ryan and I packed our hiking poles and sleeping bags. I guess we’re as ready as we’ll ever be. Although I’m still convinced that sleeping in a tent is like asking a bear to eat you like a wrap.


Ryan and I cooked dinner for my parents: grilled chicken, roasted Brussel sprouts, corn and my first attempt at squash casserole. Everything turned out well – even the squash casserole – and I’ll definitely have to make it again. We watched an episode of Alone and got ready for the week ahead – you know 5 AM comes early – and that was the weekend in a nutshell!

No comments:

Post a Comment