Monday, February 12, 2024

Weekend Recap - Valentine's Getaway

It's Monday and we are already closing in on the midpoint of this month of February! Are you kidding me? I'm back to really savoring the weekends now that I'm a member of the workforce again - and my first weekend after being back to work was wonderful and relaxing; just what I needed. It was probably what Ryan needed too!  

After work on Friday, Ryan and I made the drive (about an hour and forty minutes) to Gordonsville, Virginia to stay for the weekend at Shenandoah Crossings! We made it into town around 7:00 and grabbed a quick dinner at The BBQ Exchange - which has been named as the best BBQ in the state of Virginia! The pulled pork, macaroni & cheese, ribs and pork belly were delicious... but I was less than impressed with the baked beans! 

After checking into our cabin and getting settled, we opened a Valentine's gift from my parents: a little travel bucket filled with some of our favorite treats, some doodads and a gift card to Well Hung Vineyard (yes - that's really the name). Ryan then surprise me with a bath pillow and a bamboo bath tray and then proceeded to fix a bath with candles and bath bombs - because that man knows me too well! It was the most wonderful surprise and a wonderful way to wind down and start the weekend!

The weather was a bit overcast and threatening rain on Saturday - so after a relaxing start to the morning and some breakfast, we figured we'd better get out and explore in case rain rolled into the area. We poked around the resort, walking down to the lake and also peeking at the game room and indoor pool for later in the day, and then headed over to the General Store and Stables. 

We spent some time with the horses and Ryan ended up buying some treats so that we (mostly me) could feed them! The horses were pretty hilarious; especially a horse and mule that were tied together and seemed to be "fighting" with one another - those two were a whole mood! We perused some antique stores and other stores in the (very) small town of Gordonsville and we decided to just have a picnic lunch in our car when the rain arrived shortly after noon. 

After our picnic lunch, the rain had passed and so we drove about ten minutes to Barboursville Vineyards - where we actually didn't do a wine tasting - I know, that makes no sense, does it? Barboursville Vineyards has the ruins of an antebellum house that was designed by Thomas Jefferson, for the former governor of Virginia - who was named Barbour. The house burned down on Christmas Day 1884 and the ruins are now a part of the vineyards charm... and they are honestly the reason we went to Barboursville. I wanted to show the ruins to Ryan! 

After our time at the vineyard, we made a quick Walmart run to grab some supplies for our dinner, then headed back to the resort and spend some time playing in the game room: we both won a game of air hockey, we raced cars and motorcycles and played some pinball. Ryan even won me a stuffed elephant from the claw machine! Then we spent some time in the hot tub before heading back to our cabin for to relax and enjoy dinner!

Ryan made the most amazing meal of chicken (steak for him), scalloped potatoes and asparagus! Everything was so divine and I cleaned my plate! I enjoyed some non-alcoholic wine with my meal - Ryan has gotten into the non-alcoholic beer, and so I decided to give the wine a try - and it was a win for me! We had a wonderful and relaxing evening and when we woke up on Sunday, the rain had definitely arrived in full force!


Our last stop after checking out of the resort was Well Hung Vineyard for brunch! We did decide to try a wine flight here - we did the Sweetness Flight and I loved every single one of them, which is a pretty bold statement for me! I had the Banana's Foster French Toast and Ryan had Chicken & Waffles, before we climbed into the car for a rainy drive home! 

Somehow I neglected to share a picture here, but for the Super Bowl festivities I joined my sister and my Mom in playing Super Bowl Eras Bingo - which was something a friend of Lindsey's sent to her! I was the first to "bingo" - and amazingly none of the squares that got my bingo were Taylor Swift related, although plenty of the squares on my card were! It was such a lovely weekend and I can't believe a three-day weekend is on the horizon! Y'all have a good Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment