Wednesday, February 28, 2024

Homesteader Training

I'm sure you're probably thinking "what in the world" and you'd be right to wonder. I've never really seen myself as much of a homesteader … I don't really like gardening and you won't find me butchering any animals. I'd just as soon buy my veggies pre-chopped at the store for convenience and I also like to tell myself that my chicken breast only ever "lived" in the grocery store case. 

Near the end of the year last year, my Mom shared with me that a friend from her Life Group (from church) was hosting a monthly class at her home/farm called Simple, Wholesome & Natural that would teach some homesteading principles and I figured - why not join my Mom for some classes. I signed up and we have now been to two classes... and let me tell you, it's been an experience. 


The first class at the end of January was about learning to be thrifty - something that I can appreciate as Ryan and I are working toward some financial goals this year for our future. Alongside the tips and tricks for being more thrifty, we also cooked a meal of Chicken Noodle Soup and my Mom and I chopped up the delicious celery for the soup. It was incredibly delicious - and I can see the reward in dicing your own veggies... I suppose. *wink*

I will say - there were two moments that had my Mom and I in fits of laughter (which is hard when you're trying to be quite). Each of the participants introduced themselves and shared a bit about themselves... and one woman shared that her family raised "meat rabbits" and this almost made me come unglued. Who knew people raised fluffy wee bunnies to eat?!?! Our host also asked if anyone in attendance had ever taken care of a chicken from pen to pot - and I quietly told my Mom: "If we walk into the kitchen and there is a chicken with fur (I know - it's feathers) still on it... 1. I will scream and 2. I'll have to leave". Thankfully - no chickens needed plucking! 


Our second meeting this past weekend was on all things bread - and who doesn't love a good carb? Truly, if you don't love a good carb... we probably can't be friends, ha-ha! We learned all about milling your own flour and I have to say, I was (still am) so intrigued! It was fascinating to see the seeds turn into warm, soft flour that had the most wonderful smell! I would absolutely be interested in getting a flour mill for myself and making my own breads, muffins and more.



The group was a little smaller this time - and we each were assigned a bread product to make. My Mom and I chose Chocolate Collagen Muffins and some of the other treats made were Banana Bread Muffins and Garlic Breadsticks - which were all divine! We milled our own einkorn flour to whip up our muffins, cooked them up and oh my goodness, they tasted amazing! All the delicious muffins were the perfect appetizer to the wonderful salad, pasta and garlic breadsticks - we have not left hungry; that's for sure! 


So far the whole experience has involved learning and laughter - especially when meat rabbits are discussed! Next month we will be learning about all things pig-related and making lard lotion. Thankfully, there will be no butchering of actual pigs because I don't know if I could handle that - but I will gladly report back about the lard lotion. Hehehe... 

No comments:

Post a Comment