Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Our Regularly Scheduled Programming

Happy Tuesday Everyone - I promised you that I'd be back, and here I am - back and (hopefully) better than ever! Before I get into the reason(s) I have been MIA the last month or so, I figured I would show you a little of what I was up to in January! I know for some people the month seemed like it lasted for 79 days - but it really seemed to fly by for me!

One of my Christmas presents from my parents was tickets to see Frozen at the Kennedy Center on Saturday, January 13th. Thankfully the drive into DC was quick and easy and since we had parking at the Kennedy Center, we just pulled into the garage and parked steps from the door! We were under the impression that the play started at 2:30...

So we grabbed lunch in the cafeteria portion of the Kennedy Center - I had the most incredible salad - and then we perused the Kennedy Center itself & remarked that it seemed like people were really in a rush to get to their seats. It was only about 1:45 - there was still tons of time. Thankfully my Mom pulled out our tickets and we noted it started at 2:00 - not 2:30 - and we jumped up to join all the people going to their seats, ha-ha!

The play was incredible - the leads were so talented, and while both women could sing amazingly, the actress playing Anna just stole the show because she was so perfectly cast! There were new songs that were created just for the play; since I didn't know them, they didn't necessarily roll off the tongue like the rest, but they were still great. It was a really wonderful performance & I'm so glad I got the chance to see it while it was in DC! 



The first snow of 2024 arrived beginning on Sunday, January 14th... & honestly, it snowed a little bit here & there all week long! The really long periods of snow were on Tuesday & Friday, but there was some element of snow happening almost every day of the week that week! 



When Saturday morning rolled around, there was still snow everywhere & the temperatures were hovering at around 30 degrees, so we made our way over to Bolivar Heights/Harper's Ferry to do some sledding! We tried to find a hill near our house, but the options weren't the best - so we widened our search area & my Dad thought of heading to the sight of the Bolivar Heights battlefield because it's set up on a hill. It was the perfect spot! 



We were able to get in plenty of runs; not surprisingly, we weren't the only people who'd thought of Bolivar Heights as the perfect spot. I am still pretty new to sledding; this was only the second time in my life that I've been able to experience sledding, but I'm definitely a fan! When we finished up, we popped into Bolivar Bread to grab some treats & then headed home to warm up, have some delicious football snacks & watch the playoff games.


Because the sledding was so great on Saturday - we decided to go snow tubing at Bryce Resort on Sunday the 15th. This was also something that was completely new to me but y'all - what a blast it was! Bryce Resort is only about an hour from us, so we headed over after church & had lunch, then Ryan & I changed into our snow gear & it was time to take to the snow tubing hill!




While the runs themselves weren't that long, the tubes flew down the hills & with Ryan & I attached to each other, we actually made it all the way to the end of the run a couple times! Once you finish a run, you have to hop out quickly & then it's a quick little walk back to the magic carpet to be towed back up the hill to go again. You're given an hour and a half to do the run as many times as you're able - we got to go six times, so that was pretty fun! It's definitely something I'd love to do again!


The last weekend of January, Ryan & I enjoyed a wonderful date night at Union Jack's Pub on the Winchester Walking Mall. The shepherd's pie that I got... I am still having dreams about it! It was delicious & I will absolutely be advocating to go back to Union Jack's so I can get it again! I also joined a group called Simple, Natural & Wholesome - it's basically all about homesteading. I don't know if I'm the perfect candidate for homesteading (that remains to be seen) - but we did make some slammin Chicken Noodle Soup and learn about being thrifty & thriving. 


And while I said I don't know that I'm cut out for homesteading - my husband & I were invited to Randolph Macon Academy to see the Hydroponics Lab & get some supplies to start our very own system in our home! I was so impressed by everything I saw in the lab & our "Hydro Mentor" gave us tons of supplies for FREE! What a gift! We shall see how this all goes - Ryan is so passionate about it, so perhaps we'll have our very own greens later this year! 


That's certainly not everything I've been up to in the last month - but it should give you a pretty good idea. I'll be back later this week to share more about all of life's changes... because there have been some pretty big changes! 

No comments:

Post a Comment