Monday, October 10, 2022

Lately - A Brief Catch-Up

It’s been a minute – hasn’t it? Last week felt a little like a whirlwind and something tells me that it’s not likely to change in the next 33 days (yes – just 33 days to go). The week ahead is filled with appointments and things to do and that’s what most of the next 4-5 weeks look like, before Ryan and I are married and then we have a week to just take a breath! So, who knows how many posts I’ll be completing over the next month y’all – it looks to be a wild, exciting, and full October and early November! 

 

I turned thirty-eight on Thursday the 6th and had a wonderful day (and weekend) to follow! My parents took Ryan and I out to eat on Thursday night and we had a delicious meal at Regions 117 and also had a divine birthday cake that my Mom made, at my request! I was off work on Friday and honestly – it was so very nice to have a day with nothing to do and nowhere to go – I wandered around the neighborhood, did my nails, and honestly just had a very chill day. It was great! 


I was surprised to be given tickets to see Hamilton at the Kennedy Center – and so on Saturday, Ryan and I headed for Old Town Alexandria to enjoy the day and spend some time in this awesome little section of the city! We walked all around the historic portion of Alexandria, from our hotel all the way to the waterfront. We had lunch at Gadsby’s Tavern – which has been in operation since the late 1700’s – and was known to be frequented by George Washington! We had peanut soop (the old-fashioned spelling), onion soop, a burger a gigantic wedge salad with salmon! It was a great meal! 




We perused the shops and Ryan spoiled me with flowers and Sephora and iced coffee – he really is the best man, and I am so blessed to call him mine! I love wandering around Alexandria and taking in all the row houses, the wavy sidewalks made of brick and the wonky little gates and windows in houses that have been around for hundreds of years! We also stopped in at Christ Church and took a breather in George Washington’s box pew while the docent of the church told us all about its history! Shortly before 5 o’clock we headed back to our hotel, changed (I changed) and then made our way to the Kennedy Center!






I love the Kennedy Center – with its soaring ceilings and sparkling chandeliers, the hall of Nations and the hall of States with the flags flying from the rafters – it’s such a fantastic space! Ryan and I arrived with plenty of time to grab some dinner, take pictures on the terrace as the sun was going down (and the temperature was dropping – brrrr) and we even took time to wander through an exhibit about Kennedy and the Arts. It was a really fascinating exhibit and I really enjoyed walking through it and taking it all in. Before I knew it, it was time to find our seats for Hamilton – and I was so excited! 



The play was so amazing! I sat in rapt attention, singing along here and there for the entire three+ hours! Thankfully, we were near the restrooms and so I was able to take advantage of that really quickly and be back in my seat for the second act of the play – thank goodness! It was really nice to not have to drive all the way home at almost 11:00 when the play ended, although to see Hamilton I’d have gladly made the drive! The songs, the dancing… the people that were able to dance on a moving turn table = mind=blowing! I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it!




Sunday we headed back to the countryside – it’s nice to visit the city and when I was younger, I’d have told you I wanted to live in the city – but now that I’m older, I know I’m more a country girl! We got our things unloaded and then tossed Watson (we didn’t really toss him) into the backseat and headed to Marker Miller Orchard to listen to some live music and enjoy the perfect Autumn weather: sunny and in the mid-60’s. Watson enjoyed the sunshine, snuggles and especially his bites of pork belly bites that Ryan got him, ha-ha! It was lovely to be in the sunshine, listening to good music and feeling the Autumn breeze with my love and my pup.

 


The rest of the evening was a little busy: laundry, making a big pot of chili, writing a thank you note and just getting ready for the work week! We watched some football and ate our chili and when the moon rose – goodness but it was a stunning one to see! The last week and a half has been busy but oh so good and I am truly blessed with all I have in life! 


Y’all have a wonderful Monday – maybe I’ll pop back in later this week – it all depends on my crazy schedule! *wink*






No comments:

Post a Comment