Tuesday, September 1, 2020

August Amused

August 2018 Newsletter - Space Coast Iceplex

Anticipations

Autumn is Coming - I think I always anticipate the final four months of the year and the arrival of Autumn. I've always been a cozy sweater, jeans and cute boots kind of girl and thinking about cooler temperatures, warm drinks, colorful fall leaves, all things apple and pumpkin... and so many other wonderful Autumn things... it just makes me smile. Maybe it's too much to hope the final four months of 2020 won't be quite as ridiculous as the first eight?


Is It 'Autumn' or 'Fall'? | Merriam-Webster

A Little Travel - I've never been to Pittsburgh before but it's only three hours (or so) away and I'm headed that way for Labor Day weekend! I'm not sure what all there is to do in Pittsburgh or what I'll be getting up to but I do know that the city is in the "green zone" and welcoming visitors! I'll be sure to share all my Pittsburgh adventures with you!

15 Reasons Why Pittsburgh is the Best Up-and-Coming College Town

Lavish Conference - The annual women's conference at my church is in September this year and I'm looking forward to enjoying a Friday night and Saturday morning of worship, good messages and time spent with sweet friends at church! 


I think this month is the first time I have more than one or two things in the Anticipations section of this post... I hope and pray that's a sign of good things to come in the last four months of this year!

Books I Read

I was in a very thriller-esque mood this month and so almost all the books I've read reflect that.

The Turn of the Key by Ruth Ware - I read this book in about 48 hours; I was hooked and just devoured it! The book is a told by a nanny sitting in jail awaiting trail for the murder of one of the children she was charged with watching over. The entire book is told through her letters to a potential lawyer, recalling the events leading up to her jailing and some surprise twists at the end. This was hands down my favorite read this month! 

The Shadows by Alex North - Another quick read; 25 years ago a group of teenage boys participated in a ritualistic murder and while one murdered was apprehended, the other disappeared without a trace. Paul Adams was linked to the crime and left his hometown without looking back but when he's forced to return home to visit his dying mother, he'll also have to confront the copycat killer on the loose.

Gods of Jade & Shadow by Silvia Morena-Garcia - This book took a little longer to get into but turned out to be a really excellent read! The Mayan god of death sends Casiopea on a harrowing, life-changing journey through Mexico and into the Underworld in this one-of-a-kind fairy tale inspired by Mexican folklore.

The Sun Down Motel by Simone St. James - Carly Kirk has never been able to let go of the story of her Aunt Vivian, who mysteriously disappeared from the Sun Down Motel before Carly was born. Carly decides to move to Fell, NY and visit the motel, where she quickly learns that nothing has changed since 1982. This book was filled with suspense, ghost stories and crime - so good!

I started a fifth book called Atomic Love but I'll have to add that one to the list for September since I've only started it and not finished it. 

Movies of the Month

Palm Springs - A romantic comedy on Hulu that was recommended by a friend; this movie was fine. The romantic comedy centers on two wedding guests who'd rather be anywhere but at the wedding... so of course, they get stuck in a time loop and must live the day over and over again. Along the way, they fall in love and decide to take a risk to get out of the time loop and get on with their lives - together. The movie was funny; also short and sweet and combined romantic comedy with a little bit of Sci-Fi.

Andy Samberg Movie Palm Springs Gets July Hulu Release Date

The Personal History of David Copperfield - A unique take on the Dicken's tale; I found this movie to be really enjoyable! It was (mostly) light and humorous and told the life story of the aforementioned David Copperfield through flashbacks filled with color and quirkiness. I very much enjoyed this movie and was so glad to be in a theater again! 


The Lovebirds - Originally planned for release in theaters but moved to Netflix courtesy of the pandemic, this romantic comedy was much more my style than the other one I watched this month! Jibran and Leilani are a couple stuck in a rut but when they are witness to a murder en route to a dinner party, it sets off a chain of events that leads to a wild night in New Orleans and may have them rethinking their relationship. The movie is funny and has a lot of heart - I really enjoyed it!



Must See TV

The Politician - This Netflix show is; in a word, quirky. The show follows Payton Hobart; a student in high school in California who is - to put it mildly - a little obsessed with all things political. He's convinced his destiny is to be the President of the United States and being elected class President at this high school is only the first step on the journey to the Oval Office.


The Politician (TV Series 2019– ) - IMDb

While the first season tackles high school politics, the second season has him jumping into the more advanced NY state Senate race - upping the stakes yet again. The show has great music (Ben Platt can sing y'all - duh) and an interesting story line... although like other shows from Ryan Murphy, some aspects seem a little bit implausible. Overall - it was really enjoyable and I'm hoping for a third season.

Tasty Treats

I seem to eat a lot - and yet somehow I've lost 42 pounds since this year started. There must be something to the whole "everything in moderation" I suppose... I started August with a slice of Blackberry Ice Cream Pie and some truly divine food at a little spot called Soul Mountain. I enjoyed Sweet & Snowy ice cream twice this month and also had blackberry ice cream and a peanut butter sundae too.

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1JKx45KX-AkR9LVwt_ygWSG9PskHFbEJn

I had some truly scrumptious Ratatouille and Lemon Blueberry Bread Pudding at Clyde's in Ashburn, French Toast with Fruit Coulis at Regions 117 and Peanut Soup at the dining room at Big Meadows Lodge. And the most delightful treat? S'mores cooked over an open fire in the crisp mountain air - one of the only things I like about camping, ha-ha! 

Tunes & Talks

This month I've been listening to a lot of things - some Ben Platt, still throwing some Hamilton in the mix from time to time and a lot of instrumental including Jon McLaughlin's album (Mood). That's the name of the album: (Mood)... I've also been listening to the Popcast, Crime Junkies, the Big Boo Cast and Lore... and I'm always looking for recommendations! 

No comments:

Post a Comment