Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Chili's Chicken Enchilada Soup (The Wannabe Version)

I think I've probably mentioned this somewhere along the way...somewhere in the midst of the seven hundred and one posts that I've done so far...I love soup. I don't care if it's January or July - I love to eat soup! 

One of my favorite soups is Chili's Chicken Enchilada soup; sometimes I just get an intense craving for the stuff. I love the slightly spicy broth and chunks of white meat chicken with some tortilla chips and cheese sprinkled across the top. I'm going to make myself hungry just typing this out...ha-ha!

Ages ago I stumbled onto a recipe on Pintrest for the copycat version of Chili's Chicken Enchilada soup...and as with anything on Pintrest, I was a little hesitant to try it out. Pintrest can be something of a minefield as far as food is concerned: everything looks delicious and the directions assure you that it's easy to make and you're completely safe giving it a try...and then it blows up in your face and tastes terrible.

Okay - maybe that's a touch dramatic. This weekend though, I gave the recipe a try. Nothing blew up in my face, it was really easy and it was also seriously tasty! One of the best parts? This recipe cooks in the crock pot!

All the onions...
What You Need

- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium onions; diced
- 4 cloves garlic; minced OR 4 1/8 tsp. dashes of garlic powder (I'm not good with the maths...)
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. chicken soup base OR 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 10 ounces cans of red enchilada sauce
- 6 small corn tortillas; minced
- 16. ounces Velveeta; cubed
- 1 cup Colby Jack cheese
- 22 ounces white meat chicken; diced

Crockpot cooking = the best cooking!
What You Do

- Heat the 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and saute the onions until they are tender. Add in the minced garlic/garlic powder and cook for another minute or two.

-Scrape the onions and garlic into the crock pot. Add all the other ingredients, except the chicken and cook on high heat for two hours or low heat for four hours; occasionally stirring the soup to allow it to mix.

- Add the chicken and cook on low for approximately thirty minutes.

- Garnish your soup with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream. cilantro...whatever you prefer...and enjoy!

Easy. Tasty. That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment