Monday, December 1, 2014

What I was Into in November

There is one month left in the year 2014 - I repeat - one month left in the year of 2014! Are you kidding me, where did the time go? I feel like I say this every month but I mean it this month...I feel like I blinked and November had come and gone. It's been a whirlwind month for sure, so here are just a few of the things I've been into this month.

Books I Read

The Help by Katherine Stockett - So, this was a re-read because it was the inaugural book at the Long Branch Book Club that my Mom and I joined this past month. And I must confess, going into the first meeting of the book club I didn't remember that much about it and since my hard copy of it is tucked away somewhere in my parent's basement, I purchased a copy on my tablet and as soon as the book club concluded, I went home and re-read this...in about three days. It's still as good as the first time I read it and I absolutely love it.

Excellent every time I've read it...which is twice.

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley - Inspired by going to see the stage play of Frankenstein; I was able to "purchase" this on my tablet for free because it's considered a classic. I haven't read this since my English Literature class in college but it was as good as I remember. I was also really pleased to see how much the stage play follows along with the book. The story is still as intriguing, slightly creepy and though provoking as it was the first time I read it. Which is probably why it's a classic...

A classic...for obvious reasons.

* A disclaimer...because I almost never do this, but I somehow have three books going at once, so between the end of November and the start of December, I'll probably be facilitating between the three...*

Books in the Queue

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon - The sixth book in the Outlander series; this is one of the three books I'm moving between on a daily basis and that's why it makes it's way into the Queue section... I'm only on about chapter ten. This story chronicles the further life of Jamie and Claire Fraser, their daughter Brianna and son-in-law Roger, their grandson Jem and all the families that live in Fraser's Ridge, North Carolina on the eve of the American Revolution...and that's as far as I've gotten right now, ha-ha!

Just moving right along with this series...
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens - This is the second book I'm moving around in the rotation this month; it has to be read by the time book club takes place on December 2nd. I've gotten as far as the first page...ha-ha! I think we all know how the story goes, but I've never actually read the book and I plan to have it read before the 2nd. I don't want to be living a lie at the book club, ha-ha!

Another classic!
Grace for the Good Girl by Emily Freeman - I have had this book almost a year now and keep meaning to start reading it but just never get to it. I picked it up a couple days ago and started on it and while I am really enjoying it, I find that I really just want to read a narrative story...so I'm struggling. I promise, I do promise Mom and Nickolee...I will finish it. It just may take a wee bit of time! 

Book Three that I'm working my way through...

Can't Miss Television

Reign - What can I say? This is another TV show that I started watching last year when it premiered; I wasn't sure about it but it (much like Sleepy Hollow) has become one of my favorite shows to watch. I've always loved TV shows and movies that have a thread of historical intrigue woven through them and since this show centers on Mary, Queen of Scots and King Francis of France and the lives they led, the show is pretty fascinating to me. It's probably far from historically accurate but that's alright...I love it all the same.

A lovely picture...but it's missing my favorite character. Ha-ha! 
* I feel like I watch a ton of TV but Reign and Sleepy Hollow have really been standing out to me this past month...really for the past couple months. I'm not going to write about Sleepy Hollow again because, well...repetition! *

Movies I Watched

Mockingjay - Oh my goodness, I really liked this movie and I really felt like they translated the first portion of the book to film really well. Jennifer Lawrence continues to be absolutely excellent as Katniss Everdeen; the supporting cast is just as amazing and the addition of Julianne Moore as President Coin was just perfect - she already unnerves me completely. Having said all that, this film very much feels like what it is - a stepping stone to the grand finale that will come next year. I loved this movie and I can't wait to see the grand finale next year; I know it will be just as great as the three that have preceded it!

Excellent movie.

Music I Listened To

Hope in Front of Me by Danny Gokey - Such a great song...and in case you're wondering...this will be a lot of Christian music again, ha-ha! This song is about knowing that there is still hope even in the hard times and it speaks to me on so many levels. I've been in hard times and I'm sure they'll come around again. This song is a reminder that there is always hope with Christ.

King of My Heart by Love in the Outcome - Another song that speaks to me on so many levels; even the opening line is so accurate: "I'm in a war every minute, I know for sure I'll never win it". Exactly! A reminder that with Christ as the King of your heart, any battle that you face will never be faced alone.

Theater & the Like

There is also nothing in this category - that will probably be the case for many months but you never know when an opportunity will pop up!

Yummy in my Tummy

Hello - our Thanksgiving feast! Turkey, ham, green beans, sweet potato casserole, English peas (which I don't eat, but hey...why not?) and I feel like there was more but I may have been in the slight grip of a muscle relaxer hangover while eating...so I don't know. :)

Waldorf Salad - At least I think it is called that. My Aunt Beth makes it and it is absolutely delicious! I think it involves whipped cream, pistachio pudding mix, walnuts and pineapple...and it is just lovely. I didn't have pecan pie or cheesecake or any of that business for my dessert on Thanksgiving day, oh no. I had a Styrofoam cup of this stuff. And it was lovely.

What I'm Looking Forward to


Christmas!!!

Okay...I'll calm down. Maybe. I mean...honestly I probably won't. I love absolutely everything about Christmas. So I'll be over here eating Christmas cookies and watching Christmas movies and taking in all the lights and basically just doing the best I can to enjoy every minute. 

Lindsey will be home on the 19th and I cannot even wait! I am truly blessed to have my best friend as my little sister and I know we will just have the best time for the two weeks and then some that she is here in Virginia. I can't wait for the fun to begin. 

Christmas - Two years ago! It was epic & I'm sure this year will be no different.
And...that's all for now. I swear, I feel like November absolutely flew by! I also feel like I say that every time I make one of these posts, but with the whirlwind that was the last week of this crazy month, it definitely sped by. 

Hope everyone has a wonderful December and I'll meet you back here in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment