Wednesday, October 1, 2014

What I Was Into in September

Here we go again - another month passed on by and another list of things I've been enjoying. Can you actually believe that there are only three months left in the year of 2014? I know I certainly can't; this year has brought about so many changes...but let me not digress...the things I was into this past month!

Books I Read

Voyager by Diana Gabaldon - The third book in the Outlander series, this book focuses on Claire's decision to go back through the standing stones of Craig Na Dun after she learns Jamie survived the battle of Culloden. The story follows them as they are reunited and share what has happened in the twenty years that they've missed with one another and continues their story as they eventually board a ship bound for the West Indies and wind up in the New World - America!

Another excellent book - I think I burned through this one in less than a week!
The Drums of Autumn by Diana Gabaldon - The fourth book of the Outlander series (duh, ha-ha)...this book follows Jamie and Claire as they settle in the colony of North Carolina and begin to build a home on Fraser's Ridge in the late 1760's... Meanwhile in 1960's Boston, Claire and Jamie's daughter finds some disturbing information in history books that makes her decide to risk her own journey through the Standing Stones to make contact with her parents. The choice she makes will alter all their lives in way they'd not imagined.

The continuing tale of Jaime & Claire....
The Fiery Cross by Diana Gabaldon - Book Five...which I'll have to elaborate on further in the month of October because I am only on about chapter ten at this point and I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I swear, the books get bigger every time! I'm only at the halfway point but as with all the rest, I'm already deeply intrigued.

Even more of this delightful story!

Books in the Queue

A Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon - Book Six in the Outlander series; I'm making my way through them as quickly as I can!

An Echo in the Bone by Diana Gabaldon - Book Seven in the Outlander series...I'm fairly certain by this point we all know where this is going...

Written in My Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon - Book Eight in the Outlander series and I'm thinking this might be the final one, but I'm not sure. And there is a part of me that wants it to be the end and a part that doesn't...because you never really want a good story to end, right?

Can't Miss Television

Outlander - Yep, the show that goes with the books! It wrapped up this month and won't be back for the back half of the first season till April 4th (are you kidding me Starz?!?) but it did conclude with an absolutely beautiful wedding episode that was such a payoff after reading the books. I think I said this last month but I'll say it again this month - Sam Heughan and Caitronia Balfe were perfectly cast and play Jamie and Claire to absolute perfection! I've loved the first eight episodes of season one and I'll be waiting with baited breath for the second eight episodes of season one to come along in April!

Absolutely lovely - can I go to Scotland & walk through some standing stones?
*And I'll not elaborate because basically all the shows started back this month...so...*

Gotham - I do love this show after only one viewing; whatever is Jim Gordon going to do working in the absolutely corrupt city of Gotham? I don't know but I can't wait to find out!

Sleepy Hollow - The Horseman of War has a flaming sword!?! And that in and of itself is terrifying. I fear Ichabod and Abby are in for a long year but I have no doubt they'll triumph in the end! 

Agents of SHIELD - Agent Coulson is now Director Coulson and they stole a jet! I do love that they stole a jet because they need it to be covert and save the world from Hydra! Also, can Fitz please stop talking to himself...that just makes me sad.

Bones - Well what a start that was, am I right? Sweets will be sorely missed and I know my Mom and I were absolutely floored by that season opener. I can't wait to see where this season will take Booth, Bones and the Squints and I can't wait to see if this will be the final season!

Castle - Hmmm, is Castle being honest? Does he really not know what he's been doing for the past two months? I'm inclined to trust him while my Mom seems to be suspicious....I'm sure we'll find out as the season unfolds.

Movies I Watched

The 100 Foot Journey - This movie was so delightful - and yes, that's really the word I want to use for it: delightful! The story follows the Kaadam family as they move from their home in India to a small village in France and set up a restaurant a mere 100 feet from one of the most renowned French restaurants in the world. Hasaan; one of the young sons in the family has a gift for cooking and the owner of the French restaurant is all to well aware and tries on numerous occasions to sabotage the fledgling chef before finally taking him under her wing and helping him become a renowned chef in his own right. This movie was so touching and the scenery was absolutely breathtaking...I want to go to France now. Oh wait, I already wanted to go there...


Helen Mirren is such a beast....
Only Lovers Left Alive - Oh well...once upon a time I thought if a movie had Benedict Cumberbatch or Tom Hiddleston in it, I'd certainly love it...they're my two favorite Brits you see and they are both spectacular. In Tom Hiddleston's case, I have been relieved of that notion by this movie. The story follows two centuries old vampires who have been in love (and married) for hundreds of years. They live apart but come together from time to time because after all this time, they are still deeply in love...and honestly, that's about it. I didn't feel like there was much more to the plot than that. It was two hours long and I have to confess that was a brutal two hours. So, maybe skip this one!


Oh this movie...it was interesting for sure...

Music I Listened To

Greater by Mercy Me - This song has just really been powerful for me this past month and speaks to me on so many levels. I feel like I could write a blog post about this song alone, so I'll leave getting all crazy over this for another day (maybe) and just say that if you haven't heard this song, you should check it out.

Anthem Lights - I actually bought a whole CD from them, but the song I bought separately is the one that really stands out to me and that is the K-Love Fan Awards: Song of the Year because it is such a wonderful mash-up of some truly beautiful songs.

Yummy in my Tummy

Salted Caramel Mocha...yes please, sign me up for all of them! I think I may have found my new Starbucks drink! I've had just a few since I stumbled on them at the start of the month...


Yes please - all the mochas.

I'm fairly certain I ate more delicious things this month but I can't for the life of me remember any of them. However, I did eat a corn dog at Fort McHenry that was fried in grease and it was obviously drenched in a tub of the stuff. Every time I took a bite, grease smeared all over my lips - that is something I ate in September that was NOT yummy in my tummy. It makes me shiver just thinking about it.

What I'm Looking Forward To

October starts off the big three...the last three months of the year and I love them all. I feel like once October starts, the year just rolls right along at a breakneck speed - Autumn and Halloween, flashing into November...Thanksgiving gives way to twinkling lights, carols on the radio and Christmas...and before you can blink - another year has passed us by! I guess the easiest way to put it - I'm looking forward to the last three months of this year; they're always my favorite and I can't wait to see what this season of celebration brings.

I guess I'm looking forward to my birthday...maybe...I don't know. I can't decide how I feel about thirty but like it or not, come October 6th, I can't fight it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment