Tuesday, October 8, 2019

All Things Fall...

I'm back... I've seen more of the world and I'm another year older (and maybe wiser... who's to say?). I spent the past five days in Niagara Falls and Canada exploring; I decided a few years back that experiences are really better than things, so I try to pick places to go/things to do and see that I've never done before. 

I have never been to Toronto and since it's only about a seven/eight hour drive (depending on traffic) - it was perfect for a long(ish) weekend trip. Even better, Niagara Falls is right on the way and I've never been there before either. So we set out last Wednesday evening after work and on Thursday around 10 AM - we arrived in Niagara Falls, NY. And let me tell you - Niagara Falls is as impressive, astounding and absolutely spectacular as you've been led to believe. 

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

Niagara Falls is actually made up of three waterfalls: Horseshoe Falls is the largest and spans both the US and Canada; American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls are on the US side and are the smaller of the falls. I confess I didn't know that there was more than one fall - I thought it was just one large one! While it would have been awesome to see the falls in the sunshine, that wasn't the weather we had - but thankfully the rain was light and didn't fall too much as the day progressed.

Image may contain: Ginger Watson Summerlin and Natalie Summerlin, people smiling, sky, mountain and outdoor

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, ocean, sky, cloud, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin, smiling, ocean, outdoor, water, nature and closeup

The first thing we did when we arrived was make our way down to the Maid of the Mist - the boat that takes you right up to the edge of Horseshoe Falls and into the mist that is constantly rising off the falls - hence the name. They kit you out in bright pink ponchos that tie around your head and extend almost all the way down to your feet... but honestly, those things only do so much against the brute force of nature! The boat ride was pretty exhilarating - it's kind of breathtaking to be so close to something like that. It also really makes me question the sanity of the people who attempt to go over the falls - I just don't get that impulse at all?

Image may contain: ocean, sky, outdoor, nature and water

I climbed stairs alongside the left side of American Falls to take some pictures and then we crossed the street to have lunch at Hard Rock Cafe...and then we hopped on the trolley over to Goat Island to experience Cave of the Winds! Cave of the Winds is a set of steps and platforms that allow you to walk alongside the cascades of water flowing down from American Falls and Bridal Veil Falls - the closest you can get to the falls without trying to go over them like a lunatic. Ponchos are also provided for this experience but even with them - you will get wet! My Dad said a hearty "no thanks" - so only my Mom and I did this but it was amazing! Being that close to the immense power of the water was absolutely fascinating - I even chose to climb up to the Hurricane Deck - located almost directly beneath Bridal Veil Falls, where water pours across the platform and the gusts from the falls blow the water in wild sprays.

Image may contain: Natalie Summerlin and Ginger Watson Summerlin, people smiling, selfie, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky and outdoor

Image may contain: outdoor and water

Image may contain: 1 person, outdoor and closeup

It absolutely didn't matter that I had a poncho on - when I finally emerged from the experience, the sleeves of my coat were soaked almost to the elbow and thankfully I'd remembered to roll my pant legs up to my knees...otherwise they'd have been completely drenched from mid-calf down! A fascinating fact about the platforms for Cave of the Winds? They break them down and rebuild them every year - the winters get too cold for the stability and integrity of the platforms to hold up from season to season, so each Autumn they break down the platforms and when Spring arrives, they build them again! Isn't that wild?

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: ocean, water, outdoor and nature

If I was impressed with American Fall and Bridal Veil Falls - Horseshoe Falls was mind-blowing. I have never seen so much water in one place in all my life and honestly, words and pictures cannot even begin to do it justice. I mean - 680,000 gallons of water go over Horseshoe Falls a minute - isn't that nuts? Also of note; Horseshoe Falls is the fall that people go over in barrels, not in barrels... however you choose to go. You have a chance of surviving if you choose to go over Horseshoe Falls because there is a pool at the bottom but be warned: you will not survive going over American Falls. The base of American Falls is littered with jagged rocks... but then again, you wouldn't make it that far because you would not survive the rapids that proceed the falls. However - I myself don't understand why anyone would even attempt it. I'm sane like that. 

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: sky, outdoor, nature and water

We popped over to the Canadian side of Niagara and let me tell you - the Canadian visitor center is about 100 times nicer than the American visitor center - America really needs to step it up on that front! Can I also say this would be where I began being amazed at all the flowers that Canada has in bloom...like everywhere...even though it was hovering around 60 degrees and was rainy. In all sincerity though - this was my second time in Canada and the country is so clean and lovely and well-kept; the Canadians obviously have a strong sense of pride in their country. Horseshoe Falls from straight on is just - it's a pretty mind-blowing sight to see - and that's not really even saying much. Words can't do it justice.

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: Jeffrey G. Summerlin, Natalie Summerlin and Ginger Watson Summerlin, people smiling, people standing, outdoor, water and nature

Standing so near the falls, when the wind would shift just right the mist that constantly arcs off the water would be flung up onto the walkway and it was like being unexpectedly caught in a brisk rain shower! We would just be walking along and suddenly...here comes the "rain"! We decided since we'd eaten a late lunch and would likely eat a late dinner that we'd pop into the Queen Elizabeth across from the falls and grab some tea and sweets - I went full on with the Canada theme and got Maple Tea with Maple Mousse Cake - and I was 100% thrilled with my choice. *sigh* Just thinking about it makes my mouth water.

Image may contain: dessert and food

We walked back toward the Canadian visitor center and waited for the sun to set - they light the falls after sunset and we wanted to see that; if only for a few minutes. The falls are lit with white lights at night just in general, so they can be well seen at all times. However within a few minutes of it getting fully dark - the lights start to change - from red to green to blue to pink to yellow - you get the picture. At one point the American Falls were lit red, white and blue while the Canadian Falls were lit red and white! I'm sure one day they'll find a way to projects stars, stripes and maple leaves onto the falls! 

Image may contain: cloud, sky, outdoor and water

Image may contain: people standing, sky, outdoor, water and nature

Image may contain: outdoor, water and nature

The day we spent at Niagara Falls was absolutely such a wonderful day - seeing Niagara Falls has always been something I've wanted to do and I can say with absolutely certainty that it did not disappoint. And knowing that the drive to Niagara is not so bad - I'd love to go again in the Summer when getting wet isn't as much a bother as it is on a brisk Autumn day. Niagara Falls was only day one of the trip but it was a fabulous way to start.

*Also - I took about a million pictures but figured I would spare you all of them. By a million, I mean I had taken over 330 pictures from a 4-5 day trip when all was said and done, ha-ha!*

No comments:

Post a Comment