Monday, August 13, 2018

Flowers & Films

A friend this morning just sent me the song "Manic Monday" and it couldn't be more true. I say that - it hasn't actually been all that hectic but there is just something about each and every Monday that makes it seem a bit manic. Today dawned early but not so bright because there was a thick layer of fog hovering over everything - the sun eventually broke through but now the rain (a near constant this summer) is starting as I type this.

My weekend got off to a bit of a later start than usual, en email situation at work meant that I wasn't out the door right at 5:00 but by 5:30 I was on my way out the door to meet up with my family for an outdoor concert, food trucks and perusing the gardens of the Glen Burnie House.




The Glen Burnie House is part of the Museum of the Shenandoah Valley and currently has an exhibit that features Lego sculptures throughout the gardens. As part of the evening's activities, you could stroll the gardens into the evening and view all the Lego sculptures. I took plenty of pictures...of course!





I have toured the house and gardens once before - but obviously the Lego sculptures were not in place then. I'd hoped it wouldn't be quite as warm doing the exploring this time around but with the late exit from work, I didn't have time to change and so I ended up walking around the gardens in jeans and I was a sweaty mess by the time we finished our walk! Blegh. Is anyone else thoroughly ready for Fall???





There were food trucks parked in a circle, providing all manner of delicious eats but because it was so warm outside, I had to stick with the simple convenience of getting a Chick Fil A sandwich. It just seemed like the easier option - and it came with a chocolate chip cookie, so there is no way that wasn't the best choice. In my humble opinion.





The meal was good (who doesn't love Chick Fil A - right?) and the music was excellent - the group was called Soul Expressions and they were fabulous. They encouraged everyone to dance and I was in stitches watching some people "movin and shakin" to the music...especially one woman who'd probably visited the hard cider booth one too many times. It was a fun and unique way to spend a Friday night and I'm so glad I took the time to go meet up with my family and enjoy some gardens, Legos and a little night music.




I passed the rest of Friday night watching a portion of Horrible Bosses (that movie is never not funny...) and finishing up Crazy Rich Asians before turning in for the night. I enjoyed sleeping in on Saturday and enjoying my coffee before getting ready for the day. Saturday was the day of the movies - I saw Christopher Robin around lunch time, interspersed the afternoon with some shopping, watching baseball and lounging around before heading back to the theater to see The Spy Who Dumped Me around dinner time.


I got much too excited about spotting Christmas decorations being put out in Hobby Lobby - I just can't help but get excited though; September through December have always been my favorite months of the year. There is just something about the arrival of Autumn, the change in the weather and the onslaught of holidays - Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas - each one unique and different and filled with excitement all it's own. My friend Danielle and I sipped Cotton Candy Martinis before laughing more than I've laughed in a good while at a movie - The Spy Who Dumped Me was absolutely hilarious and a great way to end my Saturday.




Sunday was a slow day - which is always nice. After church we had a less than stellar meal at The Green Turtle..it wasn't great but it wasn't terrible, you know how those meals go. After lunch my Mom cut some roses for the house and Watson was very interested in the bright blooms we'd brought indoors...he took some time to stop and smell the roses, as it were.

I took a very short afternoon nap and then watched The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society on Netflix - a movie I would definitely recommend to anyone and everyone! The story was touching and everyone played their part to perfection! I did the usual Sunday afternoon things - prepared for the week ahead, did some reading, a little walking around the neighborhood with the dog - all good things. After my traditional Sunday evening meal of pizza and a bubble bath, I watched some Nationals baseball, watched the new episode of Sharp Objects and brought the weekend to a close.

img_6233

I think Watson's face accurately represents how I feel on Sunday afternoon when I think about Monday coming... the Sunday Scaries are real y'all. But hey, at least we've almost survived Monday - right?

No comments:

Post a Comment