Monday, April 5, 2021

The Best Long Weekend

 Wow - Monday came really fast! Isn't that always the case though? The past weekend was absolutely the most wonderful long weekend and it started early courtesy of my first COVID vaccination. After getting my "jab", I headed home to discover that my boyfriend and my parents had been very sneaky indeed and he'd arrived to visit for Easter weekend a full day earlier than I expected. It was the perfect start to the long weekend - and there were even flowers too!



The weather took a pretty brisk turn on Thursday and Friday - we ended up doing some outdoor things on Friday morning before being chased indoors by the crazy wind. We popped into an antique store I stumbled onto last weekend and perused the entire store before making our way to the Burwell-Morgan Mill, where we sat on a picnic table and chatted in the sunshine!




And yes - the leaves and straw in the above picture are frozen! I think the high was somewhere around 45 on Friday which isn't terrible but the wind was whipping in some absolutely frigid gusts and making things pretty nuts! We popped over to Long Branch Plantation and as beautiful as it was - we didn't stay outside long because it was just absolutely frigid outside with the wind... so it was home to have lunch, watch some TV and then get ready for Friday night!


Friday was my Dad's birthday and he also retired last week, so my Mom threw him a little surprise dinner party with their dearest friends and Ryan and I got to help her pull it off. We decorated and then went to the restaurant ahead of the dinner to greet people - and in the end, he was so surprised, everyone had a great time and the food was (as always at Regions) delicious! I even branched out and got Low Country Boil Seafood Pasta and it was to die for! 



Saturday was a much warmer day - no crazy wind and the sun was bright in the sky! Ryan made waffles for everyone for breakfast and then we headed out to explore for the day! We wandered around the Arboretum and (of course) I made him take tons of pictures with me, ha-ha... I don't think he minded too much. The weather was so great that we ended up eating outside for lunch - we had some delicious burgers in Strasburg and also got a little ice cream!





After having a late lunch and exploring around Belle Grove Plantation a little bit, we headed home for just a little while and ended up dying Easter Eggs on the back deck before we headed up into the National Park for the evening to watch the sunset. Everything about the evening was absolutely perfect - it has long been a dream of mine to watch the sunset with my special someone - I was just waiting for that someone to come along along. Ryan took that dream and made it so much more than I could imagine.





Sunday was Easter and everyone was up early to get ready for church... and to see what the Easter Bunny brought to us! Yes, the Easter Bunny still comes to my house, ha-ha! We even had cinnamon rolls shaped like Easter bunnies for breakfast with our coffee and chocolate and then put on our finest for church! I am so glad the weather warmed up and I was able to wear my new coral dress - I love it!


After a divine lunch that my Mom put together, we decided we had to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and we headed back to the National Park for a quick hike to Land's Run Falls. The recent rain meant that the falls were pretty full and the hike isn't bad at all, so in no time we were standing in front of the waterfall as it crashed down over the rocks and into the valley!



The hike was great and the company on the hike was the best ever - it was a great way to spend Easter afternoon. Once we got back home, Ryan cooked dinner for the family (lasagna - it was SO good) and then we watched a movie until it was time to get to bed ahead of the start of a new week!

It was such a wonderful long weekend - so many wonderful memories were made and I cannot wait to make more in the coming weeks and months!

No comments:

Post a Comment