Monday, May 1, 2017

What I was Into - April

Well - this month absolutely sped by! Do I say that every month? I feel like I do...


Books I Couldn't Put Down

Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty - I devoured this book in less than 72 hours; I don't think I've read a book so quickly in months! I was spurred to action in reading because I wanted to watch HBO's take on the book but a friend mentioned that the book was better and so I committed to reading it first. The story follows three very different women; Madeline, Celeste and Jane, and the way their lives intertwine through their children and friendship in a small coastal town in Australia. And oh yeah - someone gets murdered, but you'll have to read to the end to find out who was killed and why! 

Exit West by Mohsin Hahmid - Another excellent book; this one took me a couple chapters to get into, but I finished the majority of the book in one afternoon! The story follows a young man and woman falling in love in what is likely a Middle Eastern city on the brink of war. As militants overtake the city, rumors of doors that will take those brave enough to venture through them away from the fighting gain traction and the couple must decide if they should leave behind the only life they've ever known and take a chance on a new life somewhere else. It's an interesting take that somehow combines a look at the plight of refugees with some fantastical elements and its a very intriguing read!

Books on the Shelf

Tale as Old as Time: The Art and Making of Disney's Beauty and the Beast - This book; I can't wait to read, but given that it is somewhat large...it's not exactly the type of book you carry around in your purse to sneak a chapter here and there, ha-ha! This book is the updated edition and covers the making of Beauty and the Beast across the animated film, the Broadway musical and the live action film. The book is gorgeous, filled with incredible original artwork from the design and planning of the films and the Broadway musical and has loads of information. It's definitely just crack for a Beauty and the Beast addict like me...and it's crazy to think what the Beast was originally envisioned as...



Remember last month when I said I'd purchased tons of books on Amazon and I needed to start reading them? Yeah - I haven't even begun to make a dent in them yet! Oops! 

Must See TV

The White Princess - This series is a follow-up to the 2013 series The White Queen and follows the marriage of Elizabeth of York and Henry Tudor; their union was meant to bring about the end of the War of the Roses and unite the houses of York and Lancaster...but the relationship between the two began tumultuously, to say the least. I've only seen the first two episodes but as with anything that deals with British royalty and history - I'm hooked. The actors are great, the costumes and sets are sumptuous and the story line (even with the flourishes where history is concerned) makes for an intriguing watch.



Fargo - I honestly can't say too much about the third season of Fargo yet; I've only watched the first episode! I loved the first two seasons; the dark humor, those kooky Midwestern accents and the way someone always bumbles their way into murdering someone (sort of) make the show a fascinating watch. I've never seen Ewan McGregor in something I didn't love - and he's playing not one but two roles in this season of Fargo. Should be interesting! 



Movies I'd Watch Again & Again

Beauty & the Beast - You are seeing this right; the only movie I saw in April was Beauty and the Beast. Which I'd already seen more than once in March! What can I say? I absolutely love this movie. I love being immersed in one of my favorite stories of all time, the music, the color, the costumes, everything about it just makes my heart so happy and each time I watch it; I think, perhaps I love it a little bit more. Deep beneath my cynical and sarcastic exterior lives a romantic and this movie speaks to my heart... So yes - the only move I saw in April was Beauty and the Beast - because I love this movie.



Binge Worthy

Big Little Lies - The HBO miniseries based on the above mentioned book; the series stars Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley as the three main characters, Madeline, Celeste and Jane. I thoroughly enjoyed HBO's adaptation of the book - even though there were numerous and at times vast differences between the book and the miniseries. Of course, Reese, Nicole and Shailene were perfectly cast and made for a wonderful trio and the supporting cast of actors were all stellar - I love Alexandar Skarsgard and Adam Scott! I didn't binge this as quickly as I read the book though...and my friend's advice to read the book first was spot on...because it is just a bit better!



Tasty Treats

Regions 117 - Essentially just about everything that is served at Regions 117 - a delicious restaurant located at Lake Frederick - is delicious. My Mom and I had dinner on a Wednesday night early in April and not only had the pleasure of eating some wonderful dishes, but taking in the gorgeous view of the lake from the deck. We were back later in the month for a late brunch and as always, the food did not disappoint! It's quickly becoming one of the my favorite places to eat!


Chicken Fajita Soup - I recently attempted a Pintrest recipe for Chicken Fajita soup; I say attempted because you just never quite know how anything on Pintrest will actually turn out! This recipe was filled with veggies, chicken and fajita seasoning and was absolutely delicious! Definitely not a Pintrest fail and definitely a soup I'll be adding to my Fall and Winter rotation!

Earworms

How much will you laugh when I confess that yet again this month, pretty much the only thing I've been listening to is the Deluxe Edition Beauty and the Beast soundtrack? I know what I like and I like what I know - and right now, that's listening to songs and score that I know and love so well!

What I'm Looking Forward To

Nationals Baseball - Of course, if baseball season is happening, I'm looking forward to going to baseball games! I'll be at Nationals Park early in the month of May to see the Nats take on the Arizona Diamondbacks and then I'll be headed back at the end of the month to see my Nationals take on the San Diego Padres! And that game at the end of May will also be the annual Star Wars Day at Nationals Park - which is always a unique experience! 



Vegas - I'm bound for Sin City in mid-May to spend about five days with my little sister in her current hometown. The last time I was in Vegas with her, she picked out her apartment and we kind of did a fly by the seat of our pants weekend... This time, I'll be staying with her at her lovely apartment and we have some pretty big plans: we are going to see Celine Dion in concert at Caesar's Palace and having afternoon tea at the Mandarin Oriental - which was voted one of the top ten places to have tea in the US! I'm not sure what else we'll get up to, but I'm sure we'll have a blast!



Warmer Weather - I think this one is pretty self-explanatory; April has been seriously chilly and drizzly! I know they say April showers bring May flowers and I hope that's true! I also hope that May brings some warmer weather! 



And...that's a wrap on the month of April! On we go toward Spring and sunshine!

No comments:

Post a Comment